• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti theft

Jeepenstien

NAXJA Forum User
On my 98 xj I had a slide switch attached to the ignition and air bags so any unsuspecting thief that took a slide hammer to ignition would catch both airbags. Probably not legal but I'm not losing another xj!! Which leads me to the question does anyone have some kind of anti theft ideas I can set my 93 xj up with? No air bags and not interested in doing an interior swap. Already have multiple kill switches but would like the peace of mind knowing that anyone who tries to steal it gets their just desserts? Thank you for any feed back

just add a hidden switch in a secret location that powers the coil or ecu or something. Problem is that you'd have to remember to turn it off every time you get out or it's pointless.

Years ago in my 88 MJ I wired in a 2nd ignition coil on a DPDT switch. The High voltage lead was connected to a piece of wire mesh under the factory seat cover. A thieves hand is grounded as he's messing with the steering lock.... It's a nasty surprise when they get it to crank.... Good for anti theft and messing with your friends who want to drive your rig... :variety:

Years ago in my 88 MJ I wired in a 2nd ignition coil on a DPDT switch. The High voltage lead was connected to a piece of wire mesh under the factory seat cover. A thieves hand is grounded as he's messing with the steering lock.... It's a nasty surprise when they get it to crank.... Good for anti theft and messing with your friends who want to drive your rig... :variety:

That's twisted...

And Hilarious :yelclap:

I use a 12v pulse based device--You intercept the desired wire(I went with the standard, ignition), and attach the control wire to the desired pulse circuit(wiper, high beam, or add a button). That's my theft "deterrent".

I'd like to add a proper anti-theft, to truly immobilize the vehicle. Currently, I'm thinking along the lines of an e-brake lock. It won't stop someone with a flatbed, but it'd deter just about anyone else. For an older XJ, I'd consider making a quick-disconnect for the factory steering wheel.

Jack

I knew a guy back in high school that had the same car stolen twice. So he set it up that he had to turn the key to run, push the rear defrost button, the cig lighter in and then he could turn the key to start the car. Never stolen again. Broken into like three more times tho.

Back