• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99' transfer case indicator light

truck6driver

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.
New member here but I've been lurking around for a while.

Have a 99' 2wd XJ with a 4.0 and AW4 trans. My son is in the Navy now and graduated from sub school. So the XJ is now his. I bought a 2000 XJ 4wd from a local towing company that had been wrecked. I have swapped everything over to the 2wd. Everything works as it should mechanically.
My question is about the transfer engagement light for the dash. There is no place for the switch to plug into so I will have to make my own harness. I have located the wiring for the cluster and found the wires for "part time fwd" light is black W/ red tracer and the "full time fwd" light is black w/white tracer. Both lights have a terminal in common which is the white w/black tracer. None these colors match the pigtail for the switch.
So is the common (white w/blk) wire a 12v power making the switch a grounding switch or is the common (white w/blk) a ground and the switch a 12v positive switch?

Any help will be appreciated as all wiring schematics I have found doing a search are of no help.

Thanks,

Ray

the black with white and black with red are the lights grounds. the switch in the transfer case just grounds the wire of the mode its in.

the feeds on the switch are
A) ground
B) full time
D) part time

let me know if you need anything else.

Back