• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax-15 clunk when engaging clutch

Ax15xj

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ AX-15 126k miles. Original clutch as far ad I know. New coils, shocks, track bar, drag link, rotors and pads. Also brand new MOPAR trans mount with brown dog poly motor mounts.

XJ makes popping sound, just a single pop metal to metal sound whenever I let out the clutch at the exact same release point. Doesn't mater if I'm going forward or backward, will do it at the same clutch release point. Doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning, which leads me to think it's not ujoint or suspension related. Anyone have any idea, it's driving me crazy.

Check the exhaust pipe that goes over the transmission cradle, had a clunk drive me nuts until I found it was making contact with that cradle. But only at first take off, maybe shifting gear but I never noticed.
On some XJ that can mean the engine mounts are wearing out, not on mine though it was a butcher job the muffler shop did. Jackwagons cut and weld don't even check clearance. Finally the freaking world broke so I'm redoing it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back