• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Questions for starting to modify

With a $400 rig i say start with a good set of 235's for now and put your money into maintenance stuff and replacing worn parts for now. Do some light trails and learn to drive it off road first.

With a $400 rig i say start with a good set of 235's for now and put your money into maintenance stuff and replacing worn parts for now. Do some light trails and learn to drive it off road first.
Yeah. I definitely need to do replacing and fixing. I really need to fix my radiator. I don't think it's broken but driver side it's leaking orange shit all over driver side of the compartment and all over axle is and everything. I'm guessing it's been doing it for a while (since b4 i bought it) because everything on that side is gunked to all hell. I just don't have the money to rip apart the front end and fix/replace all i might find. I already know I need a new front axle. And most everything on it is from factory so there is a lot I'm looking to replace.

Also not sure if this is a wiring issue but I've noticed that if i leave headlights or the interior headlamps on while the car is off it'll kill the battery in minutes. I've gotten it to start every time but the guage is down to 9.5v-10v when it drains. Battery+alternator tested good and as soon as it starts jumps up to 14v and stays and battery status charged at 12v after running. Aa long as no power is being used the battery stays charged of course but the drain seems oddly large.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Stock headlights use alot of juice just make sure they are turned off.
There is alot you can do before you get into lifts but if your are restricted by a budget look into bastard packs

Stock headlights use alot of juice just make sure they are turned off.
There is alot you can do before you get into lifts but if your are restricted by a budget look into bastard packs
I'm not too concerned about lift right now. If anything i'll look to trim and remodel the fenders before i look to lift the thing. Honestly i'll probably do modifications to run it at stock height b4 i go and lift and bigger tires.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

A fully charged battery should be closer to 13-13.5V at rest. Should not drop much below 11.5-12V when cranking. You should be able to run the headlights for a couple hours at least before a good battery would be too low to crank; dropping from 12V to 9.5-10V after "a few minutes" with the headlights on does not sound like a good battery to me.

It's probably time to take that battery to a parts store and have them put a proper load-test on it.

Last edited:
A fully charged battery should be closer to 13-13.5V at rest. Should not drop much below 11.5-12V when cranking. You should be able to run the headlights for a couple hours at least before a good battery would be too low to crank; dropping from 12V to 9.5-10V after "a few minutes" with the headlights on does not sound like a good battery to me.

It's probably time to take that battery to a parts store and have them put a proper load-test on it.
Yeah. I left the headlights on once and went inside to pay for gas and when i went to start it it had trouble cranking. ~10-15 minutes of paying/gas going into it.

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

Back