• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relay center Q's on 94 XJ

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished doing a complete engine and wire harness swap from a 94 XJ into a 87 XJ. Everything works fine except after I turn off the Jeep the 2 small black (half-size) relays keep clicking on and off. These 2 relays are located in the relay center under the dash on the driverside. Does anyone know what these 2 relays do?

Thanks,
Rob

It is an automatic ECM for a manual Jeep. Is it normal for them to cycle when the car is turned off? Do they time out after a period of time?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Patterson said:
It is an automatic ECM for a manual Jeep. Is it normal for them to cycle when the car is turned off? Do they time out after a period of time?

Thanks,
Rob
Never mind I missed the under dash thing. But still what year is the ECM

I'm bringing this back up from the dead!!

The probem is still there but now it has expanded!

I'm deployed to Iraq right now and my wife says the seat belt buzzer will not stop buzzing once the jeep is started. The Jeep is parked for right now, and I had her disconnect the battery to be safe.

Thanks,

Are those two relays still ticking after 21/2 years? If you have power door locks, my 93 manual shows the two small relays on the end of the panel to be power locks lock and unlock. I don't know what you have done about this in the meantime so you might give us a bit more info.

If your wife needs to drive the Jeep right now without going nuts, she could, of course, just unplug the chime module for the time being until someone can come up with some clues about the seatbelt warning circuit. Not to insult her, but a good caution about headlights on and key left in the ignition might be pertinent if she does this.

Are those two relays still ticking after 21/2 years? If you have power door locks, my 93 manual shows the two small relays on the end of the panel to be power locks lock and unlock. I don't know what you have done about this in the meantime so you might give us a bit more info.

If your wife needs to drive the Jeep right now without going nuts, she could, of course, just unplug the chime module for the time being until someone can come up with some clues about the seatbelt warning circuit. Not to insult her, but a good caution about headlights on and key left in the ignition might be pertinent if she does this.

The Jeep has been clicking for 2 years now. I have ignored it because the Jeep still runs. The donor jeep had power door locks, but this one doesn't. So yes the harness is still there. Luckily the wife doesn't have to drive it. I would just like to have some ideas when I get home on leave in April.

Thanks,

So...remove the relays. If they are the lock/unlock relays, and there are no locks to work with, just remove them.

Back