• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

black/white smoke, blowing oil?

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
so i was driving out to a guys house to drop my jeep off for some work. on the way there i was rolling at around 75 or so the whole time, and had a friend follow me. well i look in my rearview and i see white smoke from time to time. i texted my friend and asked if it was me. it was- and they said there was black smoke from time to time as well. once we got to the guys house, she had what looked like oil on the front of their car/windshield. i know my front pinion seal is shot, but im wondering if oil could have come out of the exhaust? io had my exhaust replaced a few weeks ago and the tip of it already has a black ring around the edge. what gives? she only has 113k on it and i did a quick search- i just replaced the air filter a few weeks ago as well. any thoughts?

Pull all the spark plugs and take a look. Are they all the same color? They should be very light tan. If they are all dark brown or black, you have a general engine issue which could range from rings to tstat to 02 sensor and more. If one or two of the plugs look bad, it could be a valve or other motor issue, but it could also be an injector or just a bad plug. Also check your spark plug gaps while they are out. They should be .035". If they have been in too long and gotten up to .045 or higher, that could be the problem too. The fact that it seemed to be intermittant is good in that it could be plugs/wires/cap/rotor type stuff. Do you know if this was ever replaced? Is yours a 4.0 automatic? What year?

yes its an auto, a 1995. i just did champion plugs, mopar performance wires, OEM cap/rotor i believe at the beginning of april, maybe march.

never saw the 4.0 not have a black ring at the exhaust tip. the 4.0 just runs a little rich, its normal for a 4.0. i do agree that you should at least check the plugs for color and condition.

are you sure the black smoke was coming from the exhaust tip. oil leaking onto the exhaust, the down pipe if you have a rms leak, can burn black and appear as its coming from the exhaust when the jeep is moving.

white smoke is water or coolant, check your cooling system for leaks.

Back