• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I know when the A/C compressor needs oil?

Number21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ with a slow leak in the A/C system. I have no plans to try and fix it, I just top it off with another can of refrigerant a couple times a year. I'm wondering though if it might be pushing some of the oil out with the refrigerant? I have no idea where it is leaking. How would I know if I need to add more oil to the system?

Should I just put in another oil charge to be safe? Or could I end up with too much oil?

Hard to say as the lost oil is an unknown amount. Sounds like it is time to repair the leak(s) new hoses and seals maybe in order if they are the originals. the dryer will need to be recharged or replaced as the leaks have let in performance killing moisture, the dryer will soon if not already be saturated.

during repair, oil will be drained from the system, it is after all spread thru the system. then once drained the correct amount can be added. along with new seals, and hoses, and dryer you should be good to go for another 20 years.

The only way to know for sure is flush the system and start fresh. You can guess and have one of three outcomes. Not enough oil and you seize the compressor. Too much and you could cause a slug of oil to damage the compressor. Or you could nail it and life be good.

Best to take Black1990jeep advice and freshen up the whole system. Read here https://www.autoacforum.com/ for some of the best professional advice for free on the internet.

It really does not make sense to try and chase down random small leaks in a 20+ year old Jeep. They leak, that's just what Jeeps do. If I wanted to replace all the lines and dryer it would be silly to do that an attach it to a nearly 200,000 mile A/C compressor - if it blows I'd just have to replace all that stuff again. A can of R134A is only $4.88 at Walmart...

If the compressor blows it's not that big of a deal...they aren't expensive...and it won't stop my jeep from driving. Chances are it's nearing the end of it's life anyway - certainly past Chrysler's design life.

Back