• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

can it cruise on the highway without deathwobble?
That's how I know it's a Real XJ.

Actually I may have found the culprit there is a ton of play in the sector shaft.

That's how I know it's a Real XJ.

Actually I may have found the culprit there is a ton of play in the sector shaft.

Down at the yoke for the steering box? Just noticed that on my red Jeep, too.

So, what’s the oldest “nice” XJ (slightly substituting from “real”) on tires larger than 35s?

Full body, windshield, license plate
Not all raisened - straight or mostly straight body panels
36”-40” (or larger?) on 3/4 ton or one ton axles
Not necessarily actually used off road?

I destroyed my 1994 on 35s, went 37s, went buggy; now have full body and 31s for cruising around town.

I destroyed my 1994 on 35s, went 37s, went buggy; now have full body and 31s for cruising around town.
I destroyed my 92 on 33" tires. Went 35's, went 37s, went buggy.

Now have a '97 full body on 33's, heading to Moab in May, and after 21 years, finally understand the first post in this thread.

Last edited:
I still have a real XJ after 32 years. 90 Laredo. Electric windows still work, electric locks still work, AC(needs R12 but works,) heat and defrost are fine. Back seat is gone, but it's a two door, the kid is gone, and the wife doesn't like to wheel. It's got a built 4.1, 11-1 compression ratio, ported HO head, Hesco cam, bored T-body, Mopar headers into 2.5" exhaust. NJ 241, 95 AX-15, HP D-30 with alloy axles and E-locker, D-44 with lunch box on a long arm 4.5-5" suspension, leaves and shackles, steering upgrades on 35" tires. It goes 80 mph at 10k feet easily. No DW, but it does need the knuckles turned so it doesn't wander. I haven't wheeled it for a few years, last time I did I flopped it on the driver side. Did I mention full roll cage, rock rails since 1998, bumpers, tire carried from a Mopar carrier that came with the jeep, winch, home made roof rack from 1" square tube? Needs a whole lot of work on the wiring, developed shorts in the taillights(now a steel box), and brakes, and I'm redoing all the added lights and electronics wiring to make a nice bundle. Oh, yeah, it's got a front cross over reinforcement, steering, and front frame rail reinforcement. Someday, it'll have the rest of the frame rails done.

Back