• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 identify

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
how can i tell the year of a D30 axle..If I buy a D30 can i swap the calipers and rotors from mine to it are is this only possible for certain years?

1990 and up have the same knuckle/caliper/uni-bearing set up. 84-89 are different, the caliper bracket is bolted to the knuckle and the uni-bearing is different.

Makes no difference whether or not its a HP or LP or disco or non-disco, the years are the difference.

would a ring and pinon be universal for all years?

Yes. However, this is where HP/LP is an issue (an HP D30 front will have a "reverse spiral" cut, and requires RS gearing or the pinion and ring won't mesh. LP front may use standard spiral gears.)

Early D30's in XJs were disconnect units with 2 pc pass side axle, and a separate caliper bracket from the knuckle. Later axles, up to aroung 99' upgraded to a 1 piece knuckle assembly and a single pass side axle. All the previous mentioned XJ axles are "Reverse cut" (high pinion). The later 99' though 2001 D30's were low pinion units, but had the same knuckles and axles shafts as the other 1pc units. The ring and pinion from a low pinion unit can not be installed in a high pinion axle and visa versa. So, no, the R&Ps are not universal between those axles.

It is possible to swap knuckle assemblys between axles. When you do that between early and late axles, you keep the rotor, calipers, and hub bearing with the knuckle it came from.

-Ron

1990 and up have the same knuckle/caliper/uni-bearing set up. 84-89 are different, the caliper bracket is bolted to the knuckle and the uni-bearing is different.

Makes no difference whether or not its a HP or LP or disco or non-disco, the years are the difference.

The 2001 LP axle bearing has a different part number than the HP versions

so if my calipers bolt to a bracket that bolts onto the knuckle what year would that be from? originally my d30 was leaf sprung but i have no idea where it came from and i need to replace the unit bearings

Back