• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed the plugs and now it won't start

I have a 2000 XJ that was running fine except for an occasional stumble when idling or driving slowly for a long period of time.

I changed the plugs, but I did have some trouble getting the coil pack connector off (yes, I did push the red retainer into the release position).

I eventually gave up trying and was able to remove the coil rail and change the plugs. It went on a lot easier than it came off. The jeep started up right away and was running smooth as silk.

Until the following day.

Now when I tried to start it, it coughed and spit and eventually threw a code. I believe it was a P0340. I took the sensor off and there was "stuff" inside, (I though it was filings, but it might have been plastic) but it cleaned up with a little air and I put it back on.

It started once, after some coaxing, but when I tried again, the symptoms remained and she still won't start. I also noticed when it did start is that the oil pressure gauge went to the top, almost on the pin. Before I changed the plugs, it was fine.

I bought a new sensor, but there was no change.

I finally got the coil rail connector off and at the same time, I re-seated it, the oil pressure sensor, and the cam position sensor.

Now, not only does it not start, but no spit and sputter or codes being thrown.

I don't know what I did, but I am not liking it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dave

I'd have to look really hard at the wires going to the coil rail connector -- it's tough to get at back there -- you could have easily pulled a wire out of the connector

I'd have to look really hard at the wires going to the coil rail connector -- it's tough to get at back there -- you could have easily pulled a wire out of the connector

Yep, at first glance they appear to be ok, but I have the shop manual and will be doing a continuity test between the rail connector and the PCM as soon as I get the time. I am really hoping for a broken wire, because a new connector is fairly cheap and I wield a mean soldering gun.

Back