• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a factory electric fan?

Afireinside

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 manual no a.c. xj. It needs some cooling attention. It currently does not have the factory electric fan, but does have the wiring. Is this plug and play with my ecu or do I need to figure out a way to activate it?
Thanks

Check to make sure there's contacts in the holes where the relay docks...

If there are no contacts there (which would surprise me because of the whole 'speed on the assembly-line' thing), it might be easier to get an aftermarket kit that includes the fan, relay, an assortment of simple brackets, etc. Ive never done it myself, but have read stories online of guys adding them, and it really doesnt seem that tough. Ive been tempted to do it by replacing the clutch fan in favor of an aftermarket kit on the right side, but I havent because my stock system runs pretty well. Start with the basics though, by going through your current setup and making sure everything is in good shape-i.e.fluid, waterpump, thermostat, radiator, and such. Then go from there.

I want to keep my manual fan and add an electric. This jeep came with no a.c. and manual trans and the thinnest brass 1 core radiator. I am just curious if the ecm will control the fan. I have a factory fan from another xj. Or should I look at alternative ways to control it?
All said and done I'm putting in a 1193 radiator, upper and lower hoses, 97+ heater hoses,heater valve delete, thermostat 195* any other suggestions?
Thanks

Ok so yesterday I did the stat,water pump,converted to 98 heater hose and did the upper and lower hoses. I also added the electric fan. The plug was there,I needed to add a relay and min fuse in the pdc and everything is working great so far.
Thanks

Back