• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to rent/borrow/buy balljoint press adapters

x-jay vision

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey all,

After a very short life for my AlloyUSA balljoints (a total joke) I need to replace them with Spicers. I am looking to buy, rent, or borrow the correct adapters to make the process easy. If i understand correctly, they are something different than the normal "4wd adapters". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'll add that the OTC 7894 is expensive. On ebay cheapest is $82. For four pieces.

Note, when I did my driver's side ball joints the kit I rented at Advance had plenty of adapters, including a slanted cup that made the upper ball joint go in easily.

A few weeks later I did the other side with the Harbor Freight ball joint tool kit. It was tough to do the upper, but I got it.

I may need to do my son's ball joints soon, so I think I'll get the Harbor Freight adapter kit for $74. However, I'm a bit unsure that it will have the adapter needed. But it has a mess of adaptors that should help all sorts of pressing jobs.

I'll add that the OTC 7894 is expensive. On ebay cheapest is $82. For four pieces.

Note, when I did my driver's side ball joints the kit I rented at Advance had plenty of adapters, including a slanted cup that made the upper ball joint go in easily.

A few weeks later I did the other side with the Harbor Freight ball joint tool kit. It was tough to do the upper, but I got it.

I may need to do my son's ball joints soon, so I think I'll get the Harbor Freight adapter kit for $74. However, I'm a bit unsure that it will have the adapter needed. But it has a mess of adaptors that should help all sorts of pressing jobs.
I'm sure i can get it done with any ball joint press, but I'm really looking for the OTC adapters, or something like them for less money

Most autopart stores loan tools. You pay for them up front and get a full refund when you return them (unless you damage them). Perhaps you can find one nearby.

Most autopart stores loan tools. You pay for them up front and get a full refund when you return them (unless you damage them). Perhaps you can find one nearby.
I'm familiar with that and have had good luck with that in the past. I can get the press, but noone around has the angled adapters I need.

You can make what you need with some tubing and a hacksaw!

It doesn't have the exact adapters you need but i found it sufficient to do mine with out drama.

I have an otc press and the HF adapter set. For the upper, I used an adapter that fit and a sledgehammer. Took less time than the press, doesn't destroy anything, goes in straight ( as long as you're aim isn't horrible).

THIS - o'reilly's around here loans the press and then a separate set of 4x4 adapters that STRONGLY resemble the factory spec adapters.

I recently did mine, threw the new ones in the freezer for 24 hours, getting the stockers out was a PAIN, but a little heat, some penetrating oil, and persistence, they came out... Freezing the new ones helped them go in with almost no effort at all.

THIS - o'reilly's around here loans the press and then a separate set of 4x4 adapters that STRONGLY resemble the factory spec adapters.

I recently did mine, threw the new ones in the freezer for 24 hours, getting the stockers out was a PAIN, but a little heat, some penetrating oil, and persistence, they came out... Freezing the new ones helped them go in with almost no effort at all.

For those who doubt......yes, this does work.
Although i think that one or two hours should be sufficient.

I got the Autozone master kit. It was actually almost brand new, really good set. Better than any previous rental tools, so maybe they are trying to up their game. It easily popped out my old terrible AlloyUSA joints. Will put in new Spicers today.

I'm honestly not really sure what the special angled Jeep/Dodge adapters are for. I didn't have any angled adapters in the kit I used and it was fine. They go in perpendicular to the knuckle surface, so I don't know what the angle does.

I know last time, 3 years ago when I put the AlloyUSA joints in I used a really lousy rented press and it was a nightmare. I assumed it was a nightmare because I didn't have the specific adapters. Apparently it was just a terrible press.

Glad it went well.

Will put in new Spicers today.

I'm honestly not really sure what the special angled Jeep/Dodge adapters are for.

Those two sentences don't go together in my experience. It is in the install that angled receiver cup is required.

Or am I remembering wrong? How did the install go?

Those two sentences don't go together in my experience. It is in the install that angled receiver cup is required.

Or am I remembering wrong? How did the install go?
installed the Spicers last night. you are correct, the angled receiving cup is for the install of the upper.

I actually found the angled cup in the lid of the press set I had, went very smoothly.

5lb sledge and pressure helps too. Tighten the press by hand as much as you can, smack a couple times, re-tighten, smack, repeat until it pops out. Same thing with the pitman arm. If you're scarring the cast piece, you're getting too ambitious. :D

Back