• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping an auto for a stick

Jump This

Just another minion!
I'm putting this thread in here because because....umm....well.....
you high speed guys are the only ones who would even think about it (well....you high speed guys and Remi!)

I'm thinkin' about swapping out the auto in my son's Jeep for a stick.
Who here has done it?
What have you run into?
Tips?

Thanks in advance...

Can't say I've done it... but then again I enjoy having the auto for the go fast stuff. Don't get me wrong, gear selection would be nice, but I wouldn't imagine shift times would be all that fast with a long throw like the Jeep has :D

Hopefully someone else will chime in here, as I have no idea what problems you'd have. We need to get Justin over here!

There are short throw shifters available.

I like my 5spd for go fast, less so for rocks.

I like my 5spd, period.

There's another conversion thread around here where he's having problems with a CEL continually showing up, and not being able to get smogged until it's corrected.

I swaped my AW4 for a AX-15. I am not building a jeepspeed and i just crawl with mine, Dont take my user name to serioulsy. The only thing different was the drive shaft lengh, and you need to swap the engine controll modual. You rick would not have to because your smog exempt, i am not. I drove mine the auto ECM for over to years with the engine light on. the code was for a nutral saftey switch and thats all.

Last edited:
Rick, I'm about to swap my stick out for an auto. Maybe we should throw a transmission party. ;)

Rick, i have a parts jeep here with a stick in it..It's a 1988 with the 4.0 motor in it..If you need the anything let me know..Thats if my junk will work..I do have front and rear drive lines

Uh, Scott........ that's probably the infamous PukeGoat transmission. Do ya really hate Rick that much? :D

I may just have to change cal's screenname to Shiftless.......

the only time i would regret a 5spd is in slow 4x4 stuff... the kinda stuff that requires finese....

go-fast stuff doesnt have that stuff! and driving a manual fast is much funer...

would love to do it myself someday, pending a 2wd 5spd trans.

We need to get Justin over here!

I can't be every where....

Rick, if you can find one, get an NV3550. It has a lower first gear than the AX-15, and it's stronger. The AX is nice, but higher mileage ones tend to have some "harder shifting". I ran both in my old 89, an liked the NV3550 alot better. One more thing, if you want to tuck the t-case up a little higher, find one out of a wrangler. They clock the t-case up a little to clear the factory skidplate/crossmember.

Justin

The pre 94 XJ used an internal save clutch. The pre 94 AX 15 is needed to work with this bell housing.
The 94 and up XJ went external on the slave. This would need a AX 15 from same years. All AX 15 have the same input shaft if that helps. But output shafts should be checked for compatibly with whatever transfer you use. If any.
(((A))) external bell housing is also needed for he NV 3550 trany. But some reports say the external AX bell and the NV bell are not the same. Please let me know if you try mixing.
Flywheel: Check CPS clocking of wheel with clocking of bell.
Clutch plate pressure plate idle bearing should all be new. So getting the right part should be no problem.
The NV uses it's own crossover member. It drops and inch more.
The number of drive shafts that may work are endless. Depending on deferential used, witch trany used, lift (if any). How long of driveshaft will be needed. LUCK.

the only time i would regret a 5spd is in slow 4x4 stuff... the kinda stuff that requires finese....

go-fast stuff doesnt have that stuff! and driving a manual fast is much funer...

Eh, stick's not bad in the rocks. That's what I learned to wheel on. 94 Tracker with a stick, and almost everything I did was rocks

I've got a 2wd 5 speed peugot you can have.

Back