• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start without jump

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
93 4.0 aw4

yesterday i clipped a mound of snow on the pass front tire. when i ran over it my jeep died. my battery is not strapped down( it's broke) and i heard it bounce around when i hit the snow/ice pile. so i tightened the terminals and connections. no start. i replaced one of the cable ends that connect to the posts cause it was all messed up. still no start.it will only start if i jump it. and it struggles to start, like my battery is dead. what do you guys think? alternator? any help would be great. thanks in advance.

there are rows of material in a battery, my auto shop teacher had a pretty cool cut away demonstration. Anyway when you bounce it around pretty hard the guts of the battery will turn into mush and the battery will no longer work. my battery tie down broke somwhere on a trail ride, and shortly after my 12 month old battery was shot. see if the battery has a warranty on it.

you say that one of the cable ends was shot. does it show evidence of being shorted? like say against the hood?

its a good possibility that when the batt bounced arround the engine bay, it could have made contact with the hood and shorted out. are you haveing any other electrical issues? if not you are sure lucky.

try replacing the batt and see how it goes. then go to a dealer or junk yard and get the proper tie downs!!

there is no warranty on the battery. yes one of the ends was shot. it was a cheap autozone end, that really soft lead one. it was just mashed up pretty good. i have no other electrical problems. mushing up one of the cells was suggested to me by a friend. i'll go have my battery checked. if all i have to do is replace the battery i won't be too bent out of shape. thanks for the suggestions guys. hopefully it works out.

Back