• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock rail tech

SourApple

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, if i make some rock rails what will happen if I leave out the pinch seam part? im not going to be using the rails to there full potential either. just a thought , thanks

SourApple said:
hey guys, if i make some rock rails what will happen if I leave out the pinch seam part? im not going to be using the rails to there full potential either. just a thought , thanks
How can you be sure that you're not going to be using them to their full potential? How are you going to be using them? Anyways, why not time them into the pinch seam and get it over with????

If you leave out the pinch seam tie in, the rock rails will pivot on the frame mounting points and drive the legs up into your rocker panels. If you are 100% street use I guess you could............

Tim_MN said:
If you leave out the pinch seam tie in, the rock rails will pivot on the frame mounting points and drive the legs up into your rocker panels.

That's precisely why I put the bars through the frame and welded them to plates on both sides. :D My MJ is missing a good portion of the rockers so using the pinch seam was not an option. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

94612925.jpg

94645232.jpg

103748814.jpg

dang....props to you Pete M- those are some sweet looking rails! I don't know much about them on the whole, but is there any chance that you might do some frame damage by really coming down on the rails? I'd imagine the frame would be strong enough, but I've never seen a design like yours before. Congrats on a really unique design!

Thanks! I've taken every opportunity to fall on them and no damage or deflection to date. I did think about that though and went with 3 runners instead of 2 and used a plate to spread out the load. I was far more worried about coming down hard and tweaking the body if I had them attached to the pinch seam (if I had any pinch seam left) or rust attacking my body if it was still rust-free. But Comanche uni-frame rails are stronger than XJ uni-frame rails so maybe more research needs to be done into XJs. I guess what I'd say about XJs is, if you're worried about coming down hard and hurting the frame, your Jeep is a prime candidate for sleeving the frame with angle iron anyway so the system would turn out to be very VERY strong in the end and still free-floating from the body.
There should be more photos at picturetrail.com/petermontie in the "armor" folder.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Back