• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC JeepSpeed Steering Box

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running this?

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=137_54_58&products_id=627

yes, i know its a lot of $$$....but ol' Buckshot is getting a makeover when I get back from my little trip. I want to clean up the "slop" in the steering, so I'm gonna do a Teraflex knuckle swap, go with a full length tie rod...I dont see the need to go to hydro or anything since i'm sticking to a 32" tire (33 MAX).

Thoughts, opinions, wise-ass comments? :dunno:

The steering gear can be adjusted. Its kinda tricky to do. $625 is just to much for me to spend on a $1500.00 Jeep.

Okay...I need some education...

I've read about the YJ steering box conversion, but I dont really understand the difference between a fixed ratio and variable ration steering box....how does that actually affect how it handles/drives. I know the YJ box swap is popular because it bolts to the unibody in 4 spots instead of 3.....

Clean-RC: did it clean up that "dead spot" that XJs seem to have?

1985xjlaredo: not all of us have $1500 jeeps...but...serves me right for asking for wise-ass comments :) I know it can be tightened up slightly, but I was under the impression that its gonna be "sloppy" no matter what b/c of the variable ratio...?

Do everything else first, then see if you can adjust the box. If you can't get the box to where you want it then look at alternatives.

Will this box make a difference AFTER everything else is freshened (new TRE and bushings) and the geometry set correct? I don't know but find it unlikely there will be a big difference - it is still a recirc-n-ball box.

Also, when I see unsubstantiated phrases like "and offers superior road handling" in advertising copy I get skeptical. I see this box as a cash flow device, as in out your pocket and into theirs.

HTH

JNickel101 said:
Okay...I need some education...

I've read about the YJ steering box conversion, but I dont really understand the difference between a fixed ratio and variable ration steering box....how does that actually affect how it handles/drives. I know the YJ box swap is popular because it bolts to the unibody in 4 spots instead of 3.....

1985xjlaredo: not all of us have $1500 jeeps...but...serves me right for asking for wise-ass comments :) I know it can be tightened up slightly, but I was under the impression that its gonna be "sloppy" no matter what b/c of the variable ratio...?

I never really had a dead spot in my steering just a sloppy box, that leaked from the output seal.. I don't know exactly because I installed it along with doing the WJ steering/brake upgrade at the same time.. All I know is that my steering is much more responsive, and tighter...

JNickel101 said:

The dead spot is probably a combination of the ratio of the steering box being slower near the straight ahead direction AND sloppy TREs and/or bushings. I'm speculating on that. I know that when I bought my XJ it had pretty tight steering for the type of machine it is. Nowhere near tight like my S2000 but reasonable for a solid axle Jeep. Now it is wet noodle sloppy and due for front end rebuild.

The idea behind having a slower ratio in the straight ahead position is so that the vehicle does not feel "darty" at higher speeds. It's a nice feature but not something I would go out of my way to remove or retrofit - and I'm fussy about on-road handling.

The fourth mounting boss is worth having if you really wheel your Jeep hard. That said, I'd also want to beef up the frame rails and steering box area to go with that.

Also, keep in mind that off-road tires have a pretty sloppy interface with the pavement under cornering compared to car tires (slip angles). If you are running an off-road tire like a Truxus MT you might not even feel a difference between the steering boxes even if there is a difference.

Again, HTH.

Thanks Root Moose and Clean-RC!

What do you mean by "slower ratio in the straight ahead position" - is that the "variable ratio"?

I like and run BFG A/Ts...

I did the normal HD PSC box along with a CRok brace. Fixes the 3/4 bolt problem and the new box works fine. It is slightly faster ratio along with variable rate. I could detect no difference and suspect you wont either. It would take some very detailed, side-by-side comparison to notice.

JNickel101 said:
wise-ass comments? :dunno:
oh man and there's even room for one!

FromWebsite said:
This unit is a direct bolt on replacement for all 87’-02’ Jeep YJ, TJ, MJ, XJ applications and also just happens to be the same steering gear currently used in NASCAR competition.

So does that mean the steering box only turns left? :laugh3:

On a more serious note, many people have said they didn't like the sensitivity of a close ratio steering box when they were out on the trails. It'd be damn nice for rally though!

JNickel101 said:
What do you mean by "slower ratio in the straight ahead position" - is that the "variable ratio"?

Yep.

WheelinJR said:
oh man and there's even room for one!

So does that mean the steering box only turns left? :laugh3:

okay, thats funny right there.....only turns left...LOL...

Waterhammer said:
Not to hijack but what's the best way to bleed a steering box?
cut the femoral antery

actually, just fill the res. and turn the wheel back and forth (just not all the way over to full lock) and back and forth. watch the res. and keep filling
eventually it will stop making noise. check the fluid as you drive it around, and top off as needed.

JNickel101 said:
not all of us have $1500 jeeps...but...serves me right for asking for wise-ass comments :)

yeah, some of us have $300 jeeps

lol...

tomcat said:
cut the femoral antery

actually, just fill the res. and turn the wheel back and forth (just not all the way over to full lock) and back and forth. watch the res. and keep filling
eventually it will stop making noise. check the fluid as you drive it around, and top off as needed.

Sweet, thanks...

Back