NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 9th, 2018, 17:34
NAXJA Forum User

Another... got to to replace rusted floors on xj

Hi, I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee about 135k miles and I know for sure the drivers side floor is rusted out pretty bad have not removed carpet yet to see if any other places are bad but looking underneath and poking with a screw driver its just drivers side.

Now I have done lots of reading and still wondering on installing the panel if I want to/need to weld (don't have a welder but guess I can buy one and yes I can weld but has been a while) or just do the 3m panel adhesive and rivets. I read that using steel rivets about 1" apart is just as strong as welding and so is the 3m panel adhesive. What would you go with? Thanks!
Old July 9th, 2018, 17:51
NAXJA Member

Re: Another... got to to replace rusted floors on xj

I would only consider that if you have clean good metal to attach to. Personally I prefer to weld it in tho. really you need to pull the carpet and see what you're up against.
Old July 10th, 2018, 03:52
Freakish Hand Strength

The 3M panel adhesive is faster and easier than welding, and it provides a greater contact area/joint between the panels. I was very pleased with the results when I replaced the floor pan. Front floor pans are not a critical structural member of the unibody, and most of the rust outs occur from the inside due to moisture retained in the carpet and padding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old July 10th, 2018, 14:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
The 3M panel adhesive is faster and easier than welding, and it provides a greater contact area/joint between the panels. I was very pleased with the results when I replaced the floor pan. Front floor pans are not a critical structural member of the unibody, and most of the rust outs occur from the inside due to moisture retained in the carpet and padding.

Hey Tim, did you also use rivets?
Old July 10th, 2018, 17:12
Freakish Hand Strength

I used a 6-8 self-drilling sheet metal screws. The patch panel floor pan was spread open a bit at the edges for good contact with the remaining original floor pan, and wanted to pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old July 11th, 2018, 15:13
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the info Tim.I'm thinking about using the 3m panel adhesive and using rivets to pull it tight.
Old July 11th, 2018, 15:23
NAXJA Member

I saw one thread a guy used fiberglass and por15 then just saturated it an rolled/pressed the material. Looked real clean, wished I could have found it before I had to deal with the same issue.
I used bolts and sealed the pan in with silicone.

If you use rivets just make sure they compress to the thickness of material you using.
Old July 12th, 2018, 02:01
NAXJA Forum User

I would be afraid of fiberglass cracking.
Old July 12th, 2018, 16:18
NAXJA Member

idk. it looked pretty dang tough. Composites are very durable, though I dont believe por15 was intended to be used that way lol
Old July 12th, 2018, 20:33
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
idk. it looked pretty dang tough. Composites are very durable, though I dont believe por15 was intended to be used that way lol
Actually, they have instructions on how to do just that with their stuff. Think they even sell a kit.

I still would never do it.
Old July 13th, 2018, 16:45
NAXJA Forum User

I saw a post other day on another forum some did it to their floor using the fiberglass kit they sell. Looked good but I would be concerned about it cracking since its a uni-body and will flex. Guess a small area would be OK but I know the whole drivers pan is bad pretty much.
Old July 17th, 2018, 17:39
NAXJA Forum User

Got another question. I'm guessing most people are drilling out the factory spot weld what is everyone doing to filling in the holes in the frame (Channel)left by drilling them out? Just filling it in with seam sealer? filling it back with weld if welded? Thanks
Old July 18th, 2018, 15:22
NAXJA Forum User

Oh, guess I need to change my comments on 3m panel adhesive... I meant 3M Structural Adhesive.

Still trying to decide if I want to buy welder and weld it or just go the adhesive way. Especially now since looks like I will be getting lots of overtime/weekend work pretty much till November so I might have to rush it some.