NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 19th, 2018, 09:32
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Installing a ZJ/XJ overhead console:

Funny. I am not the only want who wanted to revive this! Only difference is I don't care about using the overhead for a compass or MPG. Here in 2018 a good OBD reader and old cell phone give way more data. I am using OBDLink and the TORQUE app. More engine monitoring than any of the old Jeep systems gave us.

HOWEVER, I always thought using the ZJ overhead would be outstanding for a switch panel, CB mount, and extra storage since the XJ has so little storage to start with. You need not use an XJ overhead. The Grand Cherokee overhead fits between the XJ sun visor clips just fine on the XJ headliner.

I am planning on using the forward plastic "data" screen for a switch plate for overhead lights. The second data panel aft of the front overhead lights will be either another switch panel or boxed in to make a storage bin or possibly a spot for a small CB. The rear expanse will get a small hinged hatch installed for more storage. I'll relocate the original electronics to the new overhead, so no wiring diagnostics required other than the light switch wire runs.

If anyone has done this, photos please???
Old June 23rd, 2018, 18:50
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russbriggs View Post
i understand that this post is 9 years old, but if anyone would still reply, are the trip computers on the 97-01 XJs and Caravans the same? i have a 1993 dodge grand caravan with that exact center console and the computer is fried. They are impossible to find as "caravan center consoles" but i seem to find a bunch of "XJ Center consoles." I just need to know if a XJ trip computer will work in my van. Thanks

I think I might have a spare computer for one of those. Failing that, I am pretty sure I can fix yours. Send me a PM if you are interested. FWIW, I would only charge for parts/shipping....

And yes, the Caravan version is the same as the XJ version but make sure you get the right model year. Later models moved the buttons to a different part of the console and are not interchangeable with the older versions that have the buttons integrated.
Old July 12th, 2018, 00:08
NAXJA Forum User

I have 2 consoles left over after scavenging for 6 months to put one together for my wife's cherokee.

One is a genuine cherokee console that I bought off ebay for $130 and only used the display from it. It needs a little tlc and a display with wiring to work. Bracket included....$50.

Other console is a genuine minivan unit with the zj back panel. It is in very good condition. Minivan bracket included....$100.

I am in the Spokane, WA area. If you need either of these shipped, add $30 to price.

PM for details and images.