• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic vs Steel winch line

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Noticed some damage to my steel winch line, enough to want it replaced.

I'm debating buying another steel line or step up to a synthetic line like Amsteel. I'v read up on synthetic line and most competitors have reported common and/or repetitive breakage, but i wont be using it in a competitive situation....Running it over sharp rock etc.

Looking for realworld feedback from those who run a syn line and use common sense when winching. Straight line pulls, keeping it out of mud/water and the like. Are you experiencing any fraying/damage to the line etc?

I'v also read where it's been suggested to use a "sheath" for using a syn line where it may contact rocks or other instances that may cause damage to the line. Question is what type of material would be suggested for this sheath?

My goal is safety first, with overall cost of material/maintenance/longevity comparisons running second.

Thanks.

the syn is safer, but if you put something heavy on the winch line it should be fine too. no worries about cutting fingers though. the sheats can be found most places the line is sold, it often comes as a package deal

Back