NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 13th, 2019, 13:55
NAXJA Forum Addict

Power Door Locks- Unlock but Won't Lock

01 2 door XJ.

My power door locks switch won't work to lock the doors, but it will work to unlock the doors. I replaced the passenger side master switch a couple years ago when they wouldn't work in either direction.

Is this still a switch issue or is it more likely wiring?
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old May 13th, 2019, 14:37
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Power Door Locks- Unlock but Won't Lock

Some basic diagnostics with a $5 - $15 volts ohms-multi-meter should provide the answers. Check the voltage, check the continuity to ground, and test the switches and circuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old May 13th, 2019, 22:08
NAXJA Member

When I 1st got my xj I chased a power lock gremlin for a few days -- Sometimes the doors would lock, sometimes they wouldn't -- they would always unlock

Testers, pulling door panels, checking wires -- I just couldn't figure it out...

When it all finally came together I realized it was by design -- sometimes I had the key inserted in the ignition, sometimes I didn't -- spent days chasing the gremlin and all along it was the key in the ignition

So I'm going to say it -- Are you trying to lock the doors with the key in the ignition?
Old May 14th, 2019, 06:23
NAXJA Forum User

Power Door Locks- Unlock but Won't Lock

Can you hear the actuator engaging when you press the unlock button? Is so, are all of the doors not locking? Or just one?
Old May 14th, 2019, 07:54
NAXJA Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
Can you hear the actuator engaging when you press the unlock button? Is so, are all of the doors not locking? Or just one?
I can hear it engage (albeit it sounds kind of weak) when I unlock, but not when I lock. It unlocks the driver, passenger, and hatch when I press unlock.
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old May 14th, 2019, 07:54
NAXJA Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
When I 1st got my xj I chased a power lock gremlin for a few days -- Sometimes the doors would lock, sometimes they wouldn't -- they would always unlock

Testers, pulling door panels, checking wires -- I just couldn't figure it out...

When it all finally came together I realized it was by design -- sometimes I had the key inserted in the ignition, sometimes I didn't -- spent days chasing the gremlin and all along it was the key in the ignition

So I'm going to say it -- Are you trying to lock the doors with the key in the ignition?
Tried both ways, no difference.
Old May 15th, 2019, 05:07
NAXJA Member

The most common thing should be a broken wire in the wiring from the door to the jamb. Pull the door panel and hook up a volt meter selectively to each side and watch for the voltage change when the lock/unlock is engaged.
Old May 15th, 2019, 13:21
NAXJA Member

There are two relay's in that design. One opens the lock the other closes it. Both should be located behind the kick panel on the passengers side. I would unplug both, reverse them and see if the problem moves.