• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Cherokee Laredo Auto 4.0L-replaced sensors replaced fuel pump good 1 day, now not

TWiST2k

NAXJA Forum User
Ok So its a 1989 Cherokee 4x4 Laredo Automatic, this all started about 2 weeks ago and I have been checking this and many other forums and doing all sorts of stuff and not having any luck. I will go ahead and list out what all I have replaced and where I am at now.

Replaced
Fuel Filter
IAC
TPS and calibrated it or whatever, the baseline was 4.64 and I set it to 3.85
o2 Sensor
Distributor cap and the thing that spins inside
Spark plugs ( a couple months ago)
All new spark plug wires
new main ground strap from battery to block
CPS
Bought a new MAP and when I swapped it there was no change so I am going to return it as it is 50 bux.
Also removed and cleaned the IAT sensor but I did not replace it.
I may have replaced some other stuff and forgotten if I did I will come back and edit.
New complete fuel pump assembly

Ok so after replacing the fuel pump day before yesterday my car was finally running great for a full day, to work and back 70ish miles and to my gf and back 40ish miles.

Well now today when I get in it, it starts a bit ruff and I don't think much of it but once I get on the freeway BAM all my lack of power chugging issues start again, but it was not completely dying like it was before I replaced the pump.

Now with the old pump I was getting a steady 20 PSI with or without the FPR connected. Now once I got to work I hooked up my pressure gauge and I am getting around 31 and when I disconnect the FPR it jumps up around 39- 40 or so. So it seems that my new pump is ok? Also the ballist resistor was really hot when I touched it, is this normal? I also checked it with the new MAP I had and it made no change today.

I am really starting to rack my head against the wall on this one guys and that is why I had to finally break down and post up so I can get some advice from everyone.

Thanks!

1.Did you replace the pump yourself?? It may have sediment in the tank which only starts clogging after x amount of fuel used.
2. If i'm not mistaken, I think i've seen many threads of your year having bad ground connection(s). People driving down the road fine, then bluuuuuuuuhhhh.......

1.Did you replace the pump yourself?? It may have sediment in the tank which only starts clogging after x amount of fuel used.
2. If i'm not mistaken, I think i've seen many threads of your year having bad ground connection(s). People driving down the road fine, then bluuuuuuuuhhhh.......

I did replace the pump myself, but if it was clogging wouldn't I get a lower PSI on the fuel rail test? On the old pump I was getting 20 but with the new one I am still getting the correct 31 and 39ish with the FPR vacuum line disconnected.

I need to replace the ground strap that goes from the block to the firewall I have only replaced the line that runs from the battery to the block.

But it is sooo weird that after the pump it was fantastic for the whole day and then the next day its back to madness but I am able to drive it when before it would stall out on me and go almost nowhere from a stop.

Back