• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One piece window conversion

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
just finished my one piece window swap from my junk 01 to my 95 rhd. While it was not easy, I still think it was way easier than swapping doors and figuring out wires which is what most people suggest when someone asks about this conversion. Should be much easier to deliver the mail now, not to mention safer since there is no window bar to block my view of the mirrors!

First I watched a video of a guy doing it in an mj, he did manual windows and mine are power, but same principle. The big trick is you use the rear bolt-in track out of the newer one, switch sides, and then install it as the new front track! The hardest part is figuring out where to drill all the holes but it just takes a little playing around with it. Oddly, even though the power wires to the motors were the same colors the functions were opposite, not sure if its just a rhd thing or not. All told it was prob six hours worth of work to complete both sides and add a one touch up/down module.

Yep, that's video! Between having to angle my wrist every time to deliver mail and having to hold the window button all the way up and down a couple hundred times on cold or rainy days I think these mods will probably be the most helpful so far!

I came across a Bleepin' Jeep video on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd-8nG7c8b4

I was researching doing the exact opposite.
Being older I remember when cars had those that opened.
I wonder about putting them in my '00.
Most likely will never happen but just something that popped into my head one day.

My 1990 XJ has an opening wing window. great option to have. really effective ventilation. most of my classic cars have this feature. new cars rarely have this, they cheapened out.

My 1990 XJ has an opening wing window. great option to have. really effective ventilation. most of my classic cars have this feature. new cars rarely have this, they cheapened out.

That is why I toy with the idea of trying to do it.
They were great for ventilation. I remember way back when.
But it would require me finding two complete doors with wing windows that open at a decent price to even think about trying.
Reason for that would who knows what you would need to pull it off.
If you even could.
When those wing windows that open show up on Ebaym the pricing is nuts.
And that is just for the wing windows.

I agree with the ventilation.....loved it on my Ramcharger and other older vehicles....but on the cherokee, the main window is just too small with any wing window at all...not to mention it blocks part of the exterior mirror.

Back