• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 from XJ to ZJ

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I have a rolled XJ and am thinking about replacing it with a ZJ - that's one of a number of possible directions to take things anyway.

The XJ has a 231 with a full case SYE in it. Can the 231 from the XJ be pulled and put under the ZJ or are there things that will keep that from being a fairly simple swap?

Do you have the 42RE in the ZJ? What transfer case in the Zj?

If I recall correctly, you will need to swap the input shaft from the ZJ transfercase to the XJ transfercase since the Aw4 and 42RE require different length input shafts on the tcase.

Well both the AW4 and 42RE were available and they were both 23 spline, so the only question would be length.

Yeah, I don't have any of those answers. I don't own the ZJ. Looking at Craigslist and found a few potential builders.

Didn't know if there was a "one size fits all" answer or if it was more complex. Appears it may be more complex....

You should be good according to this from Jeepforum.. unless you opt for a V8 ZJ.

93-95 V8 ZJ's: 46RH transmission, 1.55" 23 spline input shaft
93-95 I6 ZJ's with the 42RE: .840" 23 spline input (with collar)
93 I6 ZJ's with the AW4 or AX15: .750" 23 spline input
All 96-98 ZJ's: .840" 23 spline input
All 96-01 XJ's: .840" 23 spline input
92-95 XJ's: .750" 23 spline input
91 and older XJ's: .750" 21 spline input

Back