• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highly asymmetrical sway bar bushing wear

papa_bear

NAXJA Forum User
I'm starting to freshen up an '96 XJ I bought last fall to use over the winter.
I noticed the front sway bar bushings were worn, well, very differently (rear ones were worn but normal).

Here's the passenger side one:
eQgDav8.jpg

It's rubber and worn out, but that's nothing I didn't expect.

Now, here's the driver side one:
fNdTmA9.jpg

A little worse, eh? This is my first foray into the Jeep world (and for the most part, car world), but I do know what I'm doing holding a wrench, my background is in marine engines.

I wouldn't thing that type of disintegration is normal. The bracket was stuck to the bushing and when I finally pried the bushing off the bar and the bracket, there was a nice layer of rubbery stuff built up on both that I had to scrape off (again, only the one side; the other came off in one piece).

Is this cause for concern? And why would it be so bad on one side, but ok on the other? I replaced all 4 bushings no problem, but I want to make sure there isn't something else I need to look at/watch because of this.

Back