• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Randomly shut off

Native Band

NAXJA Forum User
Warmed up idling,98 XJ 4.0 auto, walked up to it getting ready to leave, it just shuts off. Huh?
Restarted just fine, gauges all good... idled fine. Maybe it was a quirk?
Headed to work, Nope, not fine. ran about six miles, started cutting out then quit. Tried a restart and it did but badly. So I let it sit for a few, started right up. Turned around, zoomed back home, no issues till about a mile from my house, then coughed a time or two. I'm afraid to take it anywhere, lest it leave me stranded.

Starts and runs. No burned wires or fuses.
Ignition switch? Could the NSS cause an ignition cut out?
I know the NSS needs service, the BU lights only come on if I "jiggle" the gear selector.
TPS?
Thanks all

Possible tps, or cps. Most likely though is a rubbed harness, check the one that goes between the intake and firewall. Nss only affects starter i think.

NSS improper adjustment or failure only causes the starter to not function. TPS failure is unlikely with symptoms described.

CPS/CKP failure is very common. The CPS/CKP can stop working with no warning or symptoms and the engine will not run or the engine may randomly stall for no apparent reason. Typical CPS lifespan is about 150-200,000 miles.

Crank Position Sensors can have intermittent “thermal failure”. This means that the CPS/CKP fails when the engine gets hot, but works again when it cools back down.

Typical CPS Symptoms, (not all symptoms may be present, or occur at the same time) -
- Random stalling
- Starter cranks and cranks but engine won't start up
- Fuel gauge and voltage gauges may not work or display properly.
- You sometimes will have NoBus displayed on the odometer after 30-60 seconds.
- A failed CPS/CKP may or may not throw a CEL trouble code.
- Fuel pump should run and prime for 3-5 seconds.
- No spark at the spark plugs.

Back