• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FUEL PUMP humming has....

red91

NAXJA Forum User
become LOUDER since yesterday. Granted I'm running 100-135 miles a day avg. and have 130k on it now. I'm thinking that it's about ready to go kaput.

I grabbed a spare from work just in case.

Only does it near the end of my day...when it's been working 9 hrs.

CONSENSUS ?

At 130k miles your pump's still comparatively young. It's normal for the humming to increase after a long time of continuous running and especially in hot weather. Hopefully yours isn't about to call it a day but having an spare pump for emergencies is never a bad thing.

Rev Den said:
Worry not.

Rev

OK. it is loud though. I heard it OVER my radio. I'm..."what the hells is that sound?"

Pull over....and yup..strait from the gas tank.

I'll keep my spare in the back for a week. ;)

Want it to stop humming? Then teach it the words to the song. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Ran mine for 2 years with a loud humm,told thats a jeep thing. Gave up the ghost last week, left me stranded and messed up my plans for that day. My advice change it out at home or change it on the side of the road you decide. It will stop working eventually if has a constant loud humm. The new one can barely hear it during primming thats how its supposed to sound.

Change it, do it now, if you wait it will wait too and it will wait till the most inopportune time possible in the worst weather imaginable and in the worst possible location like in the very left lane of a 4 lane interstate with a concrete center divider and no opportunity to get over 3 lanes to the shoulder as it waited till there were 100 tractor trailers hauling chickens and all of them drafting in the same lane.... and a state cop already calling the most expensive towing company in the area...

Last summer mine started humming. In the winter it was silent and then this summer it was doing it more often. I just had it pulled and replaced last week with another pump. The guy that replaced it said my old one was still holding the proper amount of pressure but said he would replace it anyway. I'm not getting the humming anymore. You're probably fine driving on it for a while, but you might think about doing it in the near future.
My .02,
Collin

My pump was humming on my 87 MJ that I just bought and started building and it was changing pitch and coming and going so I changed it today. Good thing because the rubber isolator under the old pump had a bunch of shavings in it. Bumber is the new pump is running but not pumping at all???? I'll re check it tomorrow to make sure I wired and set it correctly. what a PITA job to do by yourself.

Back