• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN locations?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm aware of the tag in the windshield, atop the radiator beam and inside the passenger 'fender frame'? Are there more? Actually stamped #'s? Although it's kinda confidential, does anybody know of a complete list with the specific locations?

Engine compartment pass. side on the frame rail..

Not aware of any other.

Nick

in the dash, tag on firewall, drivers door are the ones i know of. this topic has been covered a few times. searching will bring up a few results

I tried searching and the topic was vaguely covered. I recall someone mentioning the driver's door and hatch area, but that doesn't seem right?

Could you be a little more specific as to where on the frame rail?

Not chopping a car, just cleaning up the pieces after someone else did. ;)

Posting the location of all of the confidential VINs only makes it easier for thieves to do a better job on VIN switches and makes it harder for Patrol Officers and Auto Theft Detectives to identify the true owner of stolen vehicles. I can't think of any legitimate reason a person would need to know these locations. Anybody with a legitimate reason should have access to literature showing the locations. Not trying to hasta but just my 2 cents.

Sure. Any Law Enforcement Officer has access to NICB and they know all of the locations. Posting the locations on a public forum is just plain a bad idea....That is why they call them CONFIDENTIAL VINs!

hay then if you know where they are send him a PM
I could send a PM. I'm not trying to be an @$$, but it is just not information that needs to be common knowledge. I live in AZ where auto theft is a huge problem and it is already difficult enough to ID vehicles with good VIN switches. Sometimes the C Vins are your only hope. This info in the hands of the wrong person is very dangerous. Again, I am not trying to be an @$$, I would just hate to see that info be publicized and get into the wrong hands.

Agreed. If you don't wanna publicize the info - help a brotha out and send a PM/mail.

Lifted, I believe those are plain part #'s?

I could send a PM. I'm not trying to be an @$$, but it is just not information that needs to be common knowledge. I live in AZ where auto theft is a huge problem and it is already difficult enough to ID vehicles with good VIN switches. Sometimes the C Vins are your only hope. This info in the hands of the wrong person is very dangerous. Again, I am not trying to be an @$$, I would just hate to see that info be publicized and get into the wrong hands.

your in arizona and he is in NORWAY. Long way away from arizona. don't think he will be trying to rob you blind

Agreed. If you don't wanna publicize the info - help a brotha out and send a PM/mail.

Lifted, I believe those are plain part #'s?

Because if you are indeed the "theif" then he's giving the info to the "theif"

Also, the locations people list on their profile here are not always accurate...

I'm with 1familyxj - no legit reason to put out this info. XJ's were the most stolen vehicle for many years when they were in production. For the OP, if you have a good reason to know this, can't you contact your local police department and get help from them? Law enforcement people generally have a reference source for that info.

I'm with 1familyxj - no legit reason to put out this info. XJ's were the most stolen vehicle for many years when they were in production. For the OP, if you have a good reason to know this, can't you contact your local police department and get help from them? Law enforcement people generally have a reference source for that info.

Exactly my point. If you are trying to identify the owner of a stolen vehicle the police are involved...Right? If the Police are involved they have access to NICB reps that can tell them exactly where the numbers and try to help ID the legit owner by other means as well. If the police are not involved....well, they should be.

;)

Back