• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chatter over small bumps @ all speeds

mchulse

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue that's been an annoyance for some time now and before throwing any more money at it I figured I'd see if anyone might have an idea of where to start.

Vehicle Deets: 2001 2wd XJ with no lift (227k miles)
7 years and 30k Miles on new; lower control arm bushings, MonroeSensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber in front, MONROE 58594 coil-over style shock in the back) , steering stabilizer shock, and standard duty leaf springs
NEW: rubber upper control arm bushings, ball joints and wheel bearings
Drives like a track car; very stiff suspension but handles great on smooth roads and around corners. Also can load 750+ lbs of tile in the back without bottoming the suspension out (only did this once).

PROBLEM: Going over small bumps (manhole covers, highway reflectors, washboard roads are the worst..etc) at any speed makes the front wheel/s chatter. After a long road trip it does seem to be worse. The rear doesn't seems to be effected but is stiffer than the front. It happens when turning also but not any worse. Doesn't seem to effect the steering directly but will cause vehicle to drift (e.g. hitting highway reflectors at 70 mph was a little scary). Big bumps don't cause the chatter but you feel them pretty bad as the suspension is really stiff. Doesn't make any noises when not in forward motion (e.g. turning wheel, moving suspension components and wheel around...etc)

MY THOUGHTS: Keep checking for loose bolts (been running through everything and haven't found anything loose) Replace shocks? Replace steering components (TREs...etc). A issue with the front coil springs?

Let me know your thoughts here or if there is a troubleshooting step that might help narrow down the trouble area.

My XJ has done this forever....did it before and after a complete suspension swap. Think it is coming from the knuckles where the brake caliper sits and it has worn away a bit of the knuckle....does not effect my handling at all though. My guess is that's a separate issue probably.

That would be my guess, your description isn't great but brakes definitely can make that sound. Does it go away with brake application?

Back