NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 21st, 2005, 13:04
NAXJA Forum User

Rough Idle, Rough Shifting. At wits end

Alright fella's I have been an avid searcher for my xj tech problems. And everything I have tried has failed I will give you the whole story to see if you can't figure it out for me.

First 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0, 131,000 miles, 6 inch lift, Rhino lined, Bushwhackers, 35's. Anyhow, I was driving down the interstate just rolling along when I realized I wasn't running in OD when I should have been. If I tried to accelerate around 75 to 80 mph the jeep would jerk really hard and then continue on down the road. It felt like it was trying to shift and then changed it's mind. Did that for awhile and then I read that it could be the TCM so I fiddled with that and I got OD for awhile but not long. So then I replaced it and once again I got OD for awhile but not long. Then I discovered that if I was to turn the key off and then back on after 3+ seconds that it would reset something and I would get OD for the rest of the trip. Until I shut it off again. Well now it won't attempt to shift into OD at all and it is shifting hard into third and I have to play with the gas to even get it into third. ON top of that when I am at Idle it will fluctuate between 450 and 1500 RPM's and if I were to turn the steering wheel while at a stop sign it well even go so far as to stall the engine. I am in desperation for any idea's I have Plug's Wires, and Rotor Cap coming tomorrow. I have replaced the TCM, TPS, & NSS, I have also changed the tranny fluid and put a tranny cooler on. I am running out of options here and I hope someone can ale my sick XJ.