NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 22nd, 2004, 21:03
NAXJA Forum User

longer roofrack

I have a 1999 xj sport, and want to get a pre 1999 roofrack since they are longer from front to back and will handle longer ladders better. What do you guys recommend? Should I go to a pick n pull and look for one that is in good condition? Are they hard to put on?
Bob C
www.sonnet.com/bob/jeep/
Old October 22nd, 2004, 21:32
NAXJA Forum User

Re: longer roofrack

Iīve been looking at the roof rack (like) on my wifes 96, for my 88. They look a lot sturdier. Doubt the bolts will line up. donīt know for sure. One guy on the modified board, mentioned using large washers under the roof liner, for strength (taking the liner down is a pain). But then again I had an 87, with an after market roof OEM type roof rack, that I sheet metal screwed (with a little sealer around the screws) to the roof, that never did give me any problems. Though I did go and buy some better screws, than what were supplied with the kit.
Iīm now using a solid made HD, two rail gutter mount, that has messed up my gutter mouldings, but is really solid (has like 6-7" gutter clamps, 1 1/4" cross bars). Has a kit to go with it for a couple of bicycles. Didnīt want to ding up and/or scratch up the OEM rack on my 88.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 21:32
nobody of any consequence

the newer style XJs did have a full length roof rack available.. expect to drill holes... i did just the oposite.. i put a newer rack on my 87 XJ... all the hole slined up except the forward most and rear most mount.. 4 holes 1/2" dia. and some RTV did the job.. your newer XJ has a solid-mounted nut-sert (like a blind rivet with threads down into it.. the older style has rubber mounted inserts.. i have yet to find a vendor that has the exact item... if you want to carry ladders i would look at some gutter-mount racks and not drill the roof....
Old October 23rd, 2004, 16:52
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks guys,
Bob C
Old October 23rd, 2004, 17:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidriptide
if you want to carry ladders i would look at some gutter-mount racks and not drill the roof....

Agree. I'd look into the Yakima or Thule racks. I have a Yakima and have used it on my 89 and 98 they are really strong and you can adjust them to how ever long you need.