• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ disc brake conversion thread.......

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Someone posted a real good thread with pics about 1-1/2 months ago.Anyway I cant find it,it refered to a bearing retaining plate from a Rubicon.I wrote down the part# but didnt save a link to the thread.If anyone has the link I really need it.TIA,Ron

Found it!!!!!!!!!!
www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7707

Last edited:
Ok, now weve got some pics.I had expected the width of that retaining ring(lip only) do be the same depth as the backing plate/bracket and to the a diameter the same as the bearing,neither of these is true??????????
discs02.jpg

discs07.jpg

Yeah my measurements came up about .020" less on the preload dimension.What about the fact that the diameter is that of a D35 bearing,it comes up about .100" less?Thanks!

you can tell from the pics that the retainer lip is a bit smaller than the seal, which is what is sets against. the seal and the bearing are the same diameter. the way it's set up is that when the retainer is tightened down, it (1) clamps the seal against the bearing, and (2) forces the edge of the seal outward against the axle housing for a better seal. the seal is actually very slightly smaller than the ID of the axle housing and will barely stay in place by itself.

i don't think the lip is too vital to getting a good seal, as the stock XJ retainers are flat and do a fine job of selaing, assuming the other parts are in good shape, not bent, etc. i don't know if there is any significance to the smaller diameter of the lip for the rubicon, except perhaps D-C may have wanted to be able to add discs to the Rubicon (and new TJ's) using off-the-shelf brake parts and axle housings. i do know that they did the trick in my case- no leaks (well, maybe on verrry slow drip on the pass. side :D ), and no play in the axle shafts. i've been running this set-up for several weeks now and am very pleased with how it turned out.

My biggest concern is getting enough bearing pre-load!

Back