• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disabling ABS

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting a D30 with WJ front brakes and a D44 with ZJ brakes and I want to disable the ABS system. I have all the brake lines from a same year XJ with out ABS. My plan is to just remove all the ABS hardware and replace it with the non ABS parts.

What do I need to be aware of in the project? How about the electricals that run to the system? Will it trip any warning lights?

This is on a 99XJ.

FNF

If you need to disable the ABS on your 1999XJ go under the hood to the big fuse box mounted on the passenger side. After you gently remove the lid you will find a diagram listing the fuses and relays on the bottom of the lid. Remove the two fuses and one relay labeled ABS on the diagram. You will get no lights or action from the ABS and the brakes will act just the same as a non-ABS XJ.

FYI, You may need to adjust your braking technique after changing that much of your brakes. My rear brakes would lock earlier with the increased power on my Dana 44 drum brakes.

I had to disable my ABS until I got my system ready to go after my Dana 44 swap. I prefer the ABS in dicey conditions. IMHO it stops faster and straighter with the ABS. Your Jeep, your call.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have it under control. As bwinter1946 said, remove the ABS light relay and fuses in the PDC and you'll be all set in terms of electrical. Removing all the ABS stuff is just like you said, swap in new stuff.

And actually, if you remove the ABS fuses and relays in the PDC, the ABS will not function, so if you really didn't want to remove all the ABS stuff, you wouldn't have to.

I'm not sure if you can even use the tone ring and abs parts on the WJ front brake swap. At least I didn't. I have a SSBC adjustable proportioning block to install so I should be able to take care of the adjustment. Its good to know about the relay and fuses though. Thanks for the heads up.
FNF

Back