NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 8th, 2018, 16:50
NAXJA Member

Re: New leaf springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Yes, that and how he said he "just pushed the bolt out" after it was apparently seized, seems he may have been dipping into the "medicinal" marijuana too much.

That, or there is a huge language barrier.
Or he lives in a arid climate, where steel does not corrode at the same rate as other climates.
Old January 8th, 2018, 20:08
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
The one bit of advice I will add is to order them one at a time, several days apart.

My OME's beat the daylights out of each other getting to me. I think SOP with shipping springs is to just slap a label on each spring and send it out. No box is going to hold up to the springs. But the two of them against each other, from one truck to the next, is anything but gentle.
It's a frigging leaf spring. It's going to live under the vehicle in worse conditions than that.so many more important things to worry about
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old January 8th, 2018, 20:09
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
Or he lives in a arid climate, where steel does not corrode at the same rate as other climates.
If it's not seized, why bother cutting it out...
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
Old January 8th, 2018, 20:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
Yeah Arizona and California. we do not have that rust stuff here in the same levels as elsewhere....

axle bushing on the xj are the leaf bushings lol
so I was talking about the same bolts.
if it was rusted in place that makes more sense as to why you could not remove them..
I thought you meant the nuts were rusted to the bolts.
that's how mine was. and it took a good hour with the grinder.

then the bushing replacement was not possible with the press. so we drilled them out.

what about the bolts above them holding the stock drop bracket. ? might be same situation. but worth the idea ?
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:55
NAXJA Member #1145

K this is starting to make a bit more sense now.

What is the "bolts above them holding the stock drop bracket"? I am not aware of any stock drop brackets in an XJ.

As for bushing replacement not being possible with a press- this is why I use a blue press- MAP gas in a torch. Remove item from truck. Burn out the bushing, and replace with poly. Problem solved.
Old January 10th, 2018, 18:05
NAXJA Member

Flames.., sheesh.., LOL. Me; I related into the XJ parts topic acquisition that commie red army labor provided products are a crap shoot, and recommended that they be avoided if possible, and get flamed by the 'we' person. Then the 'we' person flames someone again by saying; "seems he may have been dipping into the "medicinal" marijuana too much" AND; "That, or there is a huge language barrier." Now.., who is allowed to be off topic?

Calm down burntkat, I gain expertise from you, as well as others.

Had a rear leaf spring bolt mess after a week's worth of PB Blasting, several times a day, plus hammering etc., when failure resulted with a 4 foot pipe, and cheater bar with socket on the outside. Torch did not seem to cure the issue. However I found that a set of 'easy-out' type sockets helped to remove that last bit. Opened up the rear panel to access the frame rail in order to manage said socket inside that 'tunnel', and other tools onto the outside in order to remove said. Like ammo, one can never have enough tools.., jost sey'in.

Peace.., over, and out.
1989 Base RENIX XJ, 4.0,BA10/5,NP231,(200k+), no A/C, OME: 2" HD; coils, leafs, Nitro Sport shocks, T-Case spacer. KevinsOffRoad; steering box brace, HardKor Track Bar, stabilizer. JKS sway bar discos, (tossed out rear sway). Warn M8000 in ARB Kangaroo Bumper. OEM 15" steel wheels; 30X9.50 Dynapro muds, OEM 15" alloy wheels; 27" Blizzacks. Recycled oem seats. CIBIE/OSRAM head lights w/protective rock mesh guards. Replacement windshield, Rain-X wipers.
Old January 10th, 2018, 20:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
K this is starting to make a bit more sense now.

What is the "bolts above them holding the stock drop bracket"? I am not aware of any stock drop brackets in an XJ.

As for bushing replacement not being possible with a press- this is why I use a blue press- MAP gas in a torch. Remove item from truck. Burn out the bushing, and replace with poly. Problem solved.
my 92 xj had a stock drop bracket.

** edited.
Pretty sure it was stock.
my jeep is the laredo model that came with everything. including the transfer case skid. gas tank skid and front engine skidplate.
was Quality oem steel.
the bolts were near impossible to get off in 2007.
Ive owned the car since 2006 so pretty sure considering how tight the bolts were that it was done before that.
But I could be wrong

Last edited by blu3fan; January 10th, 2018 at 20:37.
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:50
NAXJA# 2091

The rear of the leaf spring has a stock OEM drop bracket on them all. The front does not. The upper bolt on the rear bracket is an unobtanian, unreachable spot for the kind of tools we are talking about. In fact if it can rotate, and move on the top side, I wonder if it helped break the leaf spring at the axle. The bump stops are gone on mine, and I have yet to pull and test the rear shocks to see if the caused the problem.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:16
NAXJA Member #1145

OK, what you keep calling a "drop bracket", is a shackle.

Totally different thing.
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:19
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
OK, what you keep calling a "drop bracket", is a shackle.

Totally different thing.
Other than the name what is different about them?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 13th, 2018, 15:17
NAXJA Forum User

The name! A shackle is what it is. A drop bracket won't move
Old January 27th, 2018, 15:44
NAXJA# 2091

Well after spending 4 months, including the Harvey flood interuptions, we finally got the rear leaf spring 100% off our spare 87, then the rear bolt, it was a true die hard, then the outer steel bushing part, then rubber, and now after 3 weeks of using a torch, a BFH and chisel, and a massive electric industrial nut buster impact wrench, and finally a new air hammer chisel I bought this week, we finally got the inner steel sleeve on the front bolt loose enough to spin, LOL.

Now just need that massive industrial electric Impact back on loan (mt new air powered 600 ft-lbs tool just gets laughed at still).

But repeated heat on the nut, and water soaks to chill it, and then pen lube, and then the impact should finally get it loose now. May need to hit the sleeve one more time with the Dremel tool/diamond mini wheel to cut the sleeve open closer the rear nut to better access for heating and pen-lubing, as we were not able to open up and remove the sleeve, just able to detach/un-glue it from the die hard bolt.

Long story short, I see daylight on this endless one afternoon repair nightmare LOL.
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:55
NAXJA# 2091

Ooo-K,

Now what?

As I mentioned in my last post, at the last minute the front captured nut weld broke, nut came loose. We cut a hole, and got it out.

It was well rusted. But what concerns me now is the OEM welded nut has a tube nipple (best description I can think of?) on the face that gets welded, that went inside the frame hole facing the spring bushing.

Probably used to hold and locate the nut perfectly for welding. The bolt went through that sleeve/tube. The old nut has bad threads now (too much rust and damage....

But I do not think the new OEM or after market flange nuts have that nipple. With out it, there may be some slop and alignment lost as the where the nut locks down since I was not planning to weld the new one, even if I did weld it, hoe do I locate/center it. The tube wall x2 is about .20 to .25" thick (.125" per side?). I am also concerned about wall thickness (rust and loss of any metal on the hanger when the weld broke, and left over weld burs around the hole??

My knee is out again, so I have not been able to get down there with a flash light or scope to inspect it for my self, yet. And my helper that cut the hole to access the nut and got the nut out is blind in one eye and can't see out the other, LOL (He needs new glasses..).

So I am wondering what others found and did when they replaced the nut??? What nut did you use? What did you do about the oversized hole the bolt goes into? What did you do about any repairs or beefing up the plate/face area the nuts rests on????
Old February 17th, 2018, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Just buy them with bushings installed.

That is the easy part!!!

The hard part, almost impossible part is getting the old bolts out!!!

All the old bolts, not just the leaf spring ends.

Hand grenades do not work.

I've been working on one leaf spring removal since Before Hurricane Harvey.

The trick is shopping for the meanest impact wrench you can find, and grinder-cutting blade tool(s), cold chisel, safety glasses, and a case of PB Blaster LOL

Oh, a 5 foot 1-1/4" ID cheater pipe, hydraulic lift, and a 3/4" breaker bar with 3/4" impact sockets.

And a TORCH!!!!!

I spent more on Tools than I did the leaf spring, LOL.
That's the case with one of my xj's... And if course it's the one ill be fully restoring to brand new in and out in a few years... after 300k of Rhode Island and Connecticut weather I can't even change the power steering pump. Started to try to turn them... well... half of the long bolt would turn... the other half stayed put! I feel your pain

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old February 18th, 2018, 04:10
NAXJA Member

Maybe I'll just let it SAG in the back.........