• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering pops

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
ok. my front end pops going over bumps and turning. it cant be the unit bearing cause i just replaced both within the last 3 weeks. so i'm guessing its my steering. i'm thinking of getting the zj tie rod and getting all new tie rod ends. which are like $15 each. i'd need 3 so $45-50 plus the junk yard it'll be around 20 for the rod. so i'm guessing 100 max. does this sound ok or should i get the rugged ridge steering for $169. big up grade from stock

well noticing that you are running 35's i would IMO go with the rugged ridge setup

i dont have tha much cash to spend. i work in fast food. hahaha. i'd love to get a 1 ton otk. but cash hold me back

Then I would say the ZJ setup, you get solid stock for cheap. The rugged ridge system looks about the same as the ZJ, but I have never seen one run.

I have a one ton setup and beat the snot out of it and have managed to put a slight frown in it. One of the guys that I wheel with has the ZJ setup and he has bent a few but they are probably the best low cost setup you can get.

-Alex

I would check the trackbar mount on the unibody side. I experienced popping when turning lock to lock, and after bumps here and there. I had a friend turn the wheel while I crawled under, and I could see the mount pivoting.

Check that out first, cause that could be the root of your problems.

i know that the trac bar end is got some play.i need to replace it. but i think the others need some tending to also, one has a hole and holds minimal grease

I've heard that the rugged ridge kit isn't good for anything above 5" but you may want to research that one yourself

I too am going to suggest you check the trackbar mount at the frame. It working loose (and it does) is the primary cause of popping noises. :)

And yes, the JCR setup > Rugged Ridge setup, IMHO.

I've had to work both ends of my trackbar after almost a year of hard wheeling. I did the weld-on doubler plate with a re-drilled hole at the axle end and stitch-welded my track bar drop bracket at the frame end. Both had worked loose over time, the axle end wallowing out the factory hole.

i was in the same situation, 10 seconds till ordering the jcr steering, when someone told me to check my track bar, and guess what? the bracket was loose! tightened it up, no noise sinse! it dont get much cheaper than only having to tighten a bolt, why not try it out?

If you talking about feeling something loose when going over bumps (and control arms are tight) than it's your steering. Pops sitting still from lock to lock could be both but it's more likely a loose TB.

I had the rattle going over bumps untill about 3hrs ago when I finished installing the JCR setup. Everything is tight and no more rattle over bumps.

Back