• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC clutch bearing must be bad...options?

8991XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Started the 91 Laredo today for the first time this winter and through all the accessory belt howling and squealing came some smoke. Investingating it was the AC clutch getting hot enough to on turn off, it melted the belt. So I get a new belt and install it. but that won't solve the problem

I have not had A/C in this machine for a few years because of leaks and I'm not going to fix it so I'm wondering what my options are for bypassing the compressor or if cheap and easier fixing the clutch.

Any guidance on this is greatly appreciated. I would guess I would need the non-a/c parts to move to that belt/drive system.

I guess the Jeep is looking for some HVAC love with the heater core leading the heater valve not being a Jeep part (this means it leaks). So it is time to get things fixed up.

They offer belts for ac and non ac motors at the parts store. As far as I know the ac Compressor needs to be removed because it’s in the way of the new belt routing, but maybe just needs to be routed around it. My buddies Dakota was bypassed without removal but don’t know on xj’s.

Should be pad mount, Dorman makes an AC bypass pulley. May need to use add'l washers or different bolts.

Thanks for the heads up on the bypass pulley. Looks like something that should work and be easy enough. I'll research this and get a plan to get the Jeep back on the road.

I have a potential zero dollar solution for you.

From what I understand:

Clutch is engaging, yet compressor is locked up, causing your belt to skid on a now frozen in place pulley.

You can adjust the air gap of the clutch plate on your compressor. For the sanden, you'll need to go to AutoZone or where ever, and rent a clutch holding tool (#27000), as well as the A/C clutch tool kit (#27150).

You'll need to remove the compressor for this job. Or the radiator.

Use the holding tool, to hold the clutch plate while you remove the nut on the compressor shaft. Use the other tool, which has many parts, to pull the clutch plate off. I am assuming you have the very common Sanden compressor, so you'' use the three bolts to thread into the clutch plate, along with the machined aluminum puller plate, and one of the black bolts to push against the shaft.

Once off, clean up the clutch surface, and reinstall........just make sure you have a good 1/4" or so gap so the clutch won't engage, even under power. Gap is determined by turning shaft nut.

And you should have a clutch that won't engage anymore.

If the compressor pulley bearing is bad, they're not expensive and not too hard to replace either.

Back