• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Novak "Gen III+ Fuel System Integration Kit" Review

sidewaysstarion

Coffee Drinker
NAXJA Member
In a few months I'm going to be tossing an LS1 into my jeep, so I chose the easy way out and ordered up the whole setup from Novak, So far I've only installed the Fuel system. Since I'm going to be running an 00 LS1 I chose the setup that has a regulator.

fsk_9704.jpg

This is the setup I ordered

fsk_9704_installed.jpg

This is how it's supposed to look when it's installed, notice the lack of the extra fuel filter.

1xNYhXfBgFOuuSEl5k5k1LGMfO9Me-nzH9MZdkihgY119SVvncX1vAFS9PE0bZKlu0QyUZb1h2plPvDkFA50GLA51fBsbkO1NxEx4hXi7w7RendBFnTyLgoBAGMBLF4KziPVvUTdsps=w1200

This is what their setup looks like installed on my tank, I was very unhappy with the poor quality of the GM quick connect fittings they used and the fact the added a Ford fuel filter, so they can step the fuel line from 5/16 to 3/18 to mate up with the Corvette regulator. The fuel line use in the kit was the cheapest fuel line one could get their hands on. Unhappy with it, I changed it up.

Z3QlQURslYnkM-AG1KCJuIuPRf0aoXqunFsk5QuKTrlwdQVZDubkf-d3yQzucO-cPlLCGzQpoMS7BEYsOiNsLf2nGHYHDogUJjbHHa5cr_qN2wgxku4Ong40wS9JQfAOfLWRrs3GfWY=w1200

First order of business was to convert it all to -6 AN lines to facilitate the use of all of the same line.

ucVkcycDidpj3l0XBqEhmnz6WFjWbmQzlli2_C242355jx4_ct6j4FRMmOHU9hNXQZco8ji4wFWvFApmnhSm_kJQVsoxhL0c62OFPK8KQj0EgV6br_ThHxT6c3Qt33SksWgbl9KaKqY=w1200

Everything converted to AN

z4tRHw1gPTbm39O_S6eCZV856wnuc21Q_oX2DHrywzIs7wA7RO-QBThTBN2fi9hsMTqsXJDUke9j1DLaBxrcSaeyARQ6_j_-HT9s7hLuuqR77crQy86zL4DZZbKEZFoJ83cAr1-SiRY=w1200

Since everything was all -6, there was no need for the extra Ford fuel fuel filter, the corvette regulator is bolted to a stud that was welded to the floor of my rig. But that's how everything looks once it's installed.

Fixing the major issues with the design of the kit

After installing the kit, I noticed that power delivery as erratic when the fuel level was below 1/4 tank and the jeep would cut out when making left hand turns, this got worse as the fuel level got lower.

After doing some testing a realized I'm dropping fuel pressure when cornering and the fuel pressure is very inconsistent when the fuel level is lower than 1/4 a tank.

Having dealt with this issue on Vipers and thinking about the design of the kit, I figured out the issue and how to fix it.

pUcmVL_h3-x2fhp0PbAljP_dl1cPnDjyD1AdM5CfCD18uVRxQvJi7bc2hqOubc-LNxWa0yYNA2YnD6rdotKIJVPzgc7TI8zKJX-xY8chGN6UgiPDV9thBEEKGWEpQCOweB4dIabhMQU=w1200

First step was the take a shower in gasoline and drop the tank again.

Kuyhpw612CbewqWaslHPXkTTo0F4snn29ioXoBoXt8nQ_vQ9Rix1kQsqCU4eH-oJubtWC4MW5iHjBXN0_MpPC3OmSO_Ft65KVv7oEwP_gWEPTbtNbdGSsy7MEux0M9OJTCzSByR34wU=w1200

The issue is their setup as designed returns the fuel outside of the fuel pump bucket, so the fuel pump is constantly trying to drain the bucket it's sitting in and since it's shooting the fuel right next to the bucket it will aerate the fuel when the fuel level gets low causing the pump to suck air.

lMd_PzAsZS5vy7ohgH4uXdhIkCbG3Ef0qHtDK9m6WPVwYWQNB65qgTih5PyoQvsaZwvHrcdfYBI_gZX4ymdxLwKyOVGEM_KDb0NDJhTlKpZNAL4S9Wcvb5WOhyvz3cLYZWk_v14BP-M=w1200

This is how Novak intended it.

Ue67znrtPnAc6qOHonwvd1n3Pb3KXpAkU55LgxDYPovS86qE8vbNan4d87jsgyttfAXtQt789_BMsuRWv_xG_IJw35lFp8IQy2liUINr4KdTmVPHxa71XWXBpOlErNw3H0mAK5V0KT8=w1200

After a quick trip to my local AN supplier, I whipped this up.

-SCyLF4Wdk2-Mb6XEzlivYR2HxLMxH_pK8HNnsBqrSk2CoXYQCnZfCvEzlAk4USAGwYjRUWUcDoLPcsE9ANJe5sB3r9fwNPL22vfoHJ3iwbAPQ1Utripv7gh3A6eaHwnPvTfkTcuEwg=w1200

I present you with the "Fuel Jacuzzi"

1E6Fad92LAzfUoKY1QEBpGDng1YpK8hGBADUxPHadvh81y92tikXYopRY6m1q2U_tA65kCMOt5fIOaBqdde7Kl3Vycs7lpN3oUDNVYegVIla2msr9gz2iqi3kc1BMKEt9HCOL9TSKXY=w1200

For those of you playing along at home, the only thing I used out of the original kit is the fuel pressure eliminator adapter and the corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter.

Is the "fuel pressure eliminator adapter" that aluminum piece at the top of the sending unit assembly? Do you have pics of that piece? Is it something that would be simple to turn on a lathe?

Given that the Corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter should be easy to source elsewhere that leaves only one component needed from Novak, and if that component is just a stepped and threaded aluminum disk it should be real easy to pull this off.

Is the "fuel pressure eliminator adapter" that aluminum piece at the top of the sending unit assembly? Do you have pics of that piece? Is it something that would be simple to turn on a lathe?

Given that the Corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter should be easy to source elsewhere that leaves only one component needed from Novak, and if that component is just a stepped and threaded aluminum disk it should be real easy to pull this off.

It has the same profile and o-ring setup as the stock fuel pressure regulator, I would take some measurements of mine, but that would require me to drop my tank again. It has the same tiny hole in the bottom as stock and is drilled down halfway with a larger hole and the top is threaded with 3/8 NPT. The overall height with the fitting was about the same as the stock unit, so the original clamp holds it on.

jeep-wrangler-fuel-pressure-regulator-awesome-12v-fuel-pressure-regulator-for-jeep-cherokee-grand-cherokee-tj-photos-of-jeep-wrangler-fuel-pressure-regulator.jpg

63116Jeepfigure_00000023489.jpg

That is pretty much what I expected. That little O-ring at the bottom is probably the trickiest part of the whole picture (if I am interpreting scale correctly). Getting in close enough with a narrow parting tool might be challenging. Probably nothing that couldn't be overcome with a second setup of the part though.

Back