NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Broken door-hinge welds: cheap n easy fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
Well, the answer was, "Um probably."

You'd really just have to get in there look. I'm sure there is room, but since I haven't done it, I won't say I "know" that there's room.

As for mass-producing them, we did talk about it over here.

The problem is getting all the holes lined up perfect.

I drilled the jeep body, then used that as a template to drill the plate.

If you did the plate first, I think it might be a bear to get the holes in the body perfect.

Robert
My idea is this. With the plate drilled, overlay it on the hinges and get your hinge bolt holes lined up. Line the hinge/plate assembly up on the body and drill holes in the body that matches.

In my case because the hinges are still technically attached to the vehicle. Remove the doors & fenders. Overlay the plate on to the hinge and mark your holes for drilling.

Once the hinge is drilled, use an angle grinder, die grinder, dremmel, whatever to remove the hinge from the body. Grind the body and the hinge to get rid of any rust/welding residue.

Bolt old hinge to plate and line everything up. Mark the holes from the plate on the body and drill. Once the holes are drilled, unbolt the hinge from the plate. Mount the plate inside and bolt the hinge to it.

Or hell, trace the plate on some cardboard and use that as your drilling template.

For one off fab, you way is probably easier. For prefabbed parts, it can be done with minimal hassle.

Thanks for all your help & detailing your project. I think I've got enough to do what I need to do.

Do you mind if I detail my repair in the same thread so that all of the information is in one place (being as my repair will basically be a clone of your's)?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:23
NAXJA Forum User

Nice write-up! quote:Like many XJs (especially the two-doors) my driver's door has sagged badly for years.
One q. what is the differents in size (width) of the front door of a two-doors XJ and a 4-doors?

'92 XJ
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:54
NAXJA Forum User

Width? The doors are longer (and heavier) which puts more strain on the welds.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 2 door models had doors that were probably 6 to 10 inches longer than the front doors on a 4 door.
Old May 24th, 2009, 17:32
NAXJA Member #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
Width? The doors are longer (and heavier) which puts more strain on the welds.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 2 door models had doors that were probably 6 to 10 inches longer than the front doors on a 4 door.
Yep, ten inches.

Measured while wheeling with a four-door friend this weekend. (Yeah, it's a four-door, he's still an okay guy... )

His front door, at the body line, is 39". Mine is 49".

Robert
Old May 24th, 2009, 17:43
NAXJA Member #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
Do you mind if I detail my repair in the same thread so that all of the information is in one place (being as my repair will basically be a clone of your's)?
Well, sure... If you've got anything to add, post up.

Don't know that we need to just double-post everything, though.

Robert
Old October 8th, 2009, 13:44
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the post! Im having some problems understanding exactly how you knew where to drill the holes for the actual hinge onto the plate. Im interested in doing this project but im worried about messing up the holes for hinge. I guess i dont understand how you know the exact position of the hinge with the original mounting place cut away. If someone could explain that in a little more detail it would be much appreciated
Old October 8th, 2009, 13:53
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

My guess is that he bolted the plate in, then closed the door and shimmed it to where it was supposed to be and marked where the hinge ended up, but I could be wrong.

PS - nominating this for FAQ section/sticky
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old October 8th, 2009, 21:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
Oh! And the only spec that really matters is that the hinge "finger" is vertically aligned with the lower one, and 12-1/4" (on center) above it.

Obviously, it doesn't really matter where the plate sits, so long as the hinge ends up where it needs to be.

Robert
Here is where he explaines how to align the hinge.
Old October 8th, 2009, 21:31
NAXJA Member #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEParon View Post
Thanks for the post! Im having some problems understanding exactly how you knew where to drill the holes for the actual hinge onto the plate.
I thought I explained it, but rereading it, I did gloss right over it. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
My guess is that he closed the door and shimmed it...
Close. I did drill the hinge first, then I just measured the distance between the door-side hinges (12.25" on center) and used a torpedo level and a straightedge to get the hinge positioned that distance up from (and plumb to) the lower hinge. Then I marked, drilled, and tapped the plate to suit.

If I did it over, I'd use a piece of 1/4" threaded rod to hold it in place. I didn't have any handy the first time, but that'd be the easy way.

Good luck with it, and lemme know how it turns out!

Robert

<Edit> Damn, Hugo beat me to my own writeup!
Old October 8th, 2009, 21:47
NAXJA Forum User

That a really good idea. I have a 2dr and at work one day a strong gust of wind blew the damn driver door off. I work pipeline so I got one of the rig hands to weld it back on.
Old October 8th, 2009, 21:49
NAXJA Member #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstiGUY View Post
That a really good idea. I have a 2dr and at work one day a strong gust of wind blew the damn driver door off.
Did you have witnesses?

'Cause that's the absolute best, when somebody else SEES the door actually fall off your rig!

Robert
Old November 29th, 2011, 13:37
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the thread!

I use my XJ for fishing trips, and winter driving. I just got in on the road for the winter here in Minnesota after not having driven it all summer, and noticed the sagging door that I had forgotten about.

Now that I think about it, I remember when it is -30F here, supercooled air comes in through the crack and freezes my left shoulder and elbow!

It's the beginning of December now, and I feel I'm running out of time. I just replaced the cooling system, which was my highest priority...can't decide if I'll do this repair, or just use the passenger door until spring!

Chrysler's decision to weld the hinge to the sheet metal reminds me of another poor decision to weld to the unibody--I remember having to bust off some nuts on the top rear shock mounts that were tacked to the sheet metal, and replacing them with nuts and bolts with the bolts facing downward.

BTW, thanks for this forum--my cooling system replacement went great and thanks to the info from this forum, the Jeep is running at perfect temperature...haven't seen that performance in 2 or 3 years! I burped it and everything.

Thanks again.
Old May 12th, 2012, 14:25
NAXJA Forum User

I know this thread is old, but just as useful. I going to do this, but I have a question. Did you do anything to make up for the diff where the upper hinge now sits. Did you space it out the same distance as the thickness of the removed metal and if not did it seem to make much diff in the way the door fit afterwards? Also did you use fine threaded bolts (#8?) or coarse? Thanks,Scott.
Old May 12th, 2012, 14:33
NAXJA Member #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
I know this thread is old, but just as useful. I going to do this, but I have a question. Did you do anything to make up for the diff where the upper hinge now sits. Did you space it out the same distance as the thickness of the removed metal and if not did it seem to make much diff in the way the door fit afterwards? Also did you use fine threaded bolts (#8?) or coarse? Thanks,Scott.
No I didn't, but that's a good thought...

My rig is so beat up (remember, this started when the door fell OFF) that you'll never notice a slightly misaligned panel.

And there is some adjustment in the door side of the hinge, if you cared about perfect alignment. But you're right, it might be a good idea to slip in a small piece of 1/8" plate to space the hinge back out... Good point...

I used standard 3/8-16 (course thread) bolts, just because 99% of everything at work is coarse thread. There's no way it'd make any difference at all if you prefer fine thread, except I think they're harder to tap...

Thanks for the bump! This was definitely one of my proudest and most effective repairs. Still mounted SOLID three years of dd and wheeling later!

And welcome to !

Robert
Old May 12th, 2012, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks!! I'm gonna start on this tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna have to cut a bigger hole 'cause the previous owner had it welded up at some point and whoever did it ate up a bunch of good metal and now it has fallen off again. But your instructions are clear and easy, so I feel confident that I can do it. Thanks again, Scott.