• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight... Yes? No?

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
So i found a Harbor Freight down by the house im working on today... Got a pretty nice 4.5" angle grinder for 17 dollars... and a bunch of other tools that seem pretty fair quality for AMAZING prices. Got the grinder, a pack of 30 cut off discs, a socket set with 2 socket organizer things, safety glasses, a new pair of work gloves, a set of nail setters, a ball pein hammer, a pipe wrench and some other small stuff for under 40 dollars!

So, is this stuff crap or what? what have your experiences been with harbor freight tools. the grinder I got is from a brand called Chicago Electric, but it works very well and had no trouble cutting through thick aluminum window frames.

Maybe this new grinder will finally convince me to trim up my fenders.......:cheers:

HF got it's start selling cheap electrical tools to contractors who wouldn't lose a lot of money by tools getting left behind on a jobsite, or stolen. That should be a pretty good idea of what you'll get.

I'll pick up HF for an occasional use tool, or something I don't care if I lose. If I want precision (like a torque wrench,) I'll buy somewhere else.

I've had an angle grinder from there for years. I've also had stuff break in weeks. I'd say it's a crap shoot.

Fred

Good luck with that grinder my boss bought two those and they lasted about month each. And they were not getting used very much. You can goto Lowes right now and if they have any left buy two Dewalt 9amp grinders with gloves and diamond wheel for 69 bucks. They were a Christmas deal that they are clearancing out. I only buy hand tools from HF. You get what you pay for.

Its 50/50 i have a pair of made in china vise grips that i did not think would last a week, two years later. i also got a drop light from them the same day when i got the bracket hooked up in the rafters it worked once.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

i have had good luck and bad, i broke their 12 ton shop press, but ot be fair the same set of bearings also maxed out a professional 30 ton press

i have some of their wrenches and have good luck with them, their 39 dollar ball joint/u joint tool is worth its weight in gold. have one in my trail bag and have used several time to rescue busted rigs including replacing ball joints on the trail.

i used and abused their 8000 lb electric winch on my rig for nearly 7 years, worn out 3 cables and the winch still pulls.

i only buy from harbor freight if its things i can get away with like screw drivers etc i just recently got a 8000 lb come along for trail use up until i can afford a winch new bumper and a yellow top.

i dont trust harbor freight, im a very firm believer in " you get what you pay for " and if i have to pay $200 for an 18v ridgid drill i wont hesistate to buy it like i would a hf drill, same goes for a grinder i'd rather buy a dewalt/craftsman or makita simply for the fact i KNOW i'll have years of use from them w/o a problem.

Harbor Freight is a great place to get some things cheap, especially things you aren't going to be using everyday. I have a set of HF impact sockets that have lasted me 5yrs now, also my HF set of ScrewDrivers have held up very well. I recently got a set of pry-bars from there and my 12ton press. Ratchets, wrenches, and precision measuring tools I'd stick with the brand name stuff. Things that aren't as big of a deal go HF. HF is also a good way to get yourself started with your tool collection for cheap, then you can upgrade to the name brands later on.

I've been a customer on and off since the early 90's catalog sales.

Most of their wrenches and sockets are crap. Poorly Forged, easily broken, etc... Their tools are okay for the occasional wrencher; just don't expect them to last under stress.

With that being said, I picked up a 10.00 4.5" grinder that I've been using for the last ten years. I have tried several times to kill this damn thing, but it just won't quit. It's loud and well worn, but just won't freakin quit!

YMMV,

John

so its the luck of the draw i guess. for 20 bucks, this grinder will do even if it lasts a few years of weekly use. Wish i had known about the dewalt grinder with the diamond blade though... We use grinders with a diamond blade alot for precision cuts in tile. Works really well.

Ha, just a suggestion- wear a full face shield if you run their discs on that grinder! Those tools tend to come apart, so be ready for it.

I've seen chinese wingnuts drilled and tapped an 1/8 off center. Kept making my tree saw blade loosen and fall off.

My two chinese hydraulic jacks are as crooked as a dog's leg, and sloppy. They like to creak under load, nice eh?
I actually fragged a chinese 5/16 socket in two tonight, taking off driveshaft bolts.

Harbor Fright, that's what I call em.

i saw those blue powered tools... they are under the brand DRILL MASTER. Even cheaper than the Chicago Electric brand. One of their 4.5" grinders was like 11 dollars. I think ill keep the guard on the grinder until i buy some good cut off discs at lowes.

I have a 4 1/2 angle grinder I have had for 8 years now no problems. The bad part is I bought two of them at the same time the one that has lasted me this long and the twin that lasted a month.............. as others have said 50/50 crap shoot :jester:

You get what you pay for!! Most of their CHINA made JUNK sucks!! I would just pony up for some real tools!! :lecture:

Yeah, for hand tools or air tools/accessories I stick with Craftsman, but for nearly everything else, I'll buy at HF only because I can replace it 3 times or more for what it costs for better name brand....... and I might never have to replace it. Worth the gamble to me.

I had their 4.5" grinder a couple years back - bought it just to do the cage work and cut out rockers and weld in box steel stuff I did to my former "Heep II". I burned it out toward the end of all the building, it definitely got used. Went to replace it with another one and that one crapped out after a couple hours. It's replacement has lasted me another year or so now. (knock on wood.....:D)

I'm a little leary of their sockets though - I bought one set of impact sockets and the 5/8" and 3/4" deep sockets both exploded when using my impact wrench.....

They're cheap for consumables though - sand paper, abrasive discs, cutting wheels, etc. :thumbup:

This reminds me, I need to go get more sawzall blades, abrasive discs and cutting wheels....... :D

I've had my reconditioned makita for 15 years. Paid $40 for the kit back when.

I do have a bunch of seldom used tools from HF, and a bunch of broken tools.

I've had my reconditioned makita for 15 years. Paid $40 for the kit back when.

I do have a bunch of seldom used tools from HF, and a bunch of broken tools.

Makita :thumbup: awesome tools!! DeWalt is very good too! Skill makes the best 7 1/4 worm! I use Craftsman or Snapon hand tools!!

Last edited:
I second Makita, I have a cordless drill from them that was passed down to me from my grandfather... I think its a 1980's model. After over a thousand recharges, the batteries are still kicking, and the drill works just as well as when I used to use it at my grandfathers house when I was 11.

Dewalt, Ive had a few of their drills over time... dropped a few, lost a few, but all together I wasnt all that impressed. For 18V power tools I stick to Milwaukee... just so damn tough and can withstand any drop.

Back