• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good long scenic trails near NC

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
Anything you recommend for nearly stock XJ and WK jeeps?

We went to URE and did Wolf Den and Falls Dam. Those were ok, but kinda short. Anything else we might expect to be able to do with just the two stock jeeps and no winch?

You can run forest service roads through Pisgah National Forest all day long with those Jeeps. Get a Forest Service road map and check out the unpaved roads. Make sure the roads are listed as being open though because a lot of them are gated off. Check out the Harmon Den area just East of Smoky Mountains National Park. There are lots of open roads over there, and you can even hit them from I-40. Open up the map and look for Waterville Lake. Most of these are double track and gravel roads. I never had to shift into 4wd. If you want tougher I know a couple other spots, but they require some modification.

By the way I am right outside of Wake Forest, if your ever interested in riding.

You can run forest service roads through Pisgah National Forest all day long with those Jeeps. Get a Forest Service road map and check out the unpaved roads. Make sure the roads are listed as being open though because a lot of them are gated off. Check out the Harmon Den area just East of Smoky Mountains National Park. There are lots of open roads over there, and you can even hit them from I-40. Open up the map and look for Waterville Lake. Most of these are double track and gravel roads. I never had to shift into 4wd. If you want tougher I know a couple other spots, but they require some modification.

By the way I am right outside of Wake Forest, if your ever interested in riding.

x2

I ran Hurricane Creek quite a few times. It's right off of I-40W at around the 8 MM (just after the Rest Area). And I mean it's RIGHT off of the interstate, no exit. I ran that several times with no lift and 235/75 AT's. Beautiful, scenic riding and plenty of creeks to cross through (especially when it's just rained).

Here's the sign, right at the interstate:

DSCF1104.jpg

And here's a few pics I took while up in there (this was the rainy day):

DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1095.jpg

DSCF1096.jpg

DSCF1103.jpg

That's cool....I was just out that way last weekend and had no idea that was even there! I'll definitely have to check that out next time i'm out that way!

Yeah, I'm going to head out there for a day with some friends. The web pages don't have much information about where to go but I think we will probably head to the visitor center (with no street address?) for maps.

Back