• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SW Montana backcountry scenic trails?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I'm heading out to SW Montana this Sept with 3 other Jeeps from the Philly area. We have 2 cabins reserved, one outside Dillon in Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF and the other outside Bozeman in Gallatin NF.

Other than fishing and visiting Yellowstone/Teton's we are looking to explore backcountry areas in the Bitterroots,Eastern ID and Gallatin areas. So far Nez Perce is on the potential list.

I'm hoping some of the locals can turn me on to areas if interest such as ghost towns, nice scenic drives and the like. Were also looking for an outfitter for a day in the backcountry by horseback and a guide for a float trip on the Madison River. Anyone have a favorite outfit to recommend?

I'm looking at a Montana Gazateer and Google Earth and the area looks littered with roads and such, but do you have a favorite area that you'd suggest that is a must see? Any input would be much appreciated!

Sounds like a good time John. I have a buddy that now works for Orvis but prior to that he guided on a number of rivers. I asked him for reputable guides on the Madison. I'll let you know what I find out.

-Chris

I lived in Clinton which is about 20 miles east of Missoula. Its been a lot of years but the drive up Rock Creek was beautiful. Nothing challenging(nothing is in Mt) but the scenery was top notch.

DrMoab said:
I lived in Clinton which is about 20 miles east of Missoula. Its been a lot of years but the drive up Rock Creek was beautiful. Nothing challenging(nothing is in Mt) but the scenery was top notch.

If we get that far north we'll check it out...thanks for the tip. :cheers:

You should definately check out Virginia City, gorgeous old mining town, a majority of the old buildings are still standing and still being used. I'm currently living in Bozeman and from what i've seen its a lot of mellow forest service roads around, havent found anything to exciting.

frybread4life said:
You should definately check out Virginia City, gorgeous old mining town, a majority of the old buildings are still standing and still being used. I'm currently living in Bozeman and from what i've seen its a lot of mellow forest service roads around, havent found anything to exciting.
You live in Bozeman? Cool my sister lives there.

Back