• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heat shield

matthew

NAXJA Forum User
I removed the carpet,and Herculined the floor on my '90. It didn't come with a factory exhaust heat shield. Can I get one from the Dealer,and about how much would it cost?

If your refering to the one in the previous post,it goes underneath the body!

Actually, I was just gonna post something like this! I have my carpet out and wanna line it with something, but the floor is sooo hot when I'm driving. What would be a good heat sheild for the inside, before lining it with something?

They make heat-reflecting floor padding. Im sure there is a better source but......
I8991.gif

My floor gets so hot that it melted my wife's shoes.

Make one yourself as it is easy to do. Make sure that it is spaced from the floor though and you can even attach a shield around the exhaust pipe direct. I just bent some thin alloy over the pipe and used long rivots in the sheet before holding it in place with radiator hose clamps. Have some pictures on my site on the Exterior ideas page!

Mopar’s heat shield is <$20 and well worth it. Ask the parts person for an exhaust heat shield for a 97 and up XJ. It's a good investment if you run a high flow muffler. If you aren't running some sort of heat shield with a modified exhaust invest in a good fire extinguisher.

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

I've also seen someone that used a cookie sheet:D Its cheep and he said it worked great.

I am not one of those 'the environment be damned' kinda guys,and I don't think any of us are...but...the heat problem comes from the catalitic converter...it seems to me the safest way to off-road would be not to drag around a heat source that can melt shoes from a passengers feet!!!
How about removing the converter?

Back