• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Issues

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ 4x4 with the AW4 tranny. The XJ has about 180k on the clock. The issue is the transmission shifts from first to third then to fourth. It shifts past second gear. I have replaced the filter and fluid. Could the problem be with one of the solenoids? Other than the missed gear the tranny works fine, no unusual noises or slippage. Help!

I got my '96 XJ for free, for this exact reason. At the time, I just replaced the tranny with a low mileage one from the junkyard. Since then, I've often wondered if it was just a simple solenoid problem or something relatively minor. I hope someone can chime in with some actual help.

I will say that the original owner of my Jeep (my aunt) had taken it to both a shop and the dealer, and both places said the whole transmission needed to be replaced or rebuilt. That's why I just swapped it out. However, they could have been trying to get more money out of here, so who really knows. Good luck.

Back