• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb clarity stuff

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i finally got a CB (x mas present yeah) anyway i have been searching around some of the various threads and links that you have all suggested to others for answers as to antenna and cb placement ..(already answered question two and fabbed up a "over the visor" mount for my cb tonight)

i have a 4 foot firestick and i am considering mounting it directly to the lower right corner of the rear hatch. namely due to the the fact that most of the local trails tend to be rather tight and they have rather bad habit of eating antenna's....last time out we lost two solid mount antenna's out of five rigs with cb's.

in one of the links posted here i read about "ground plane"(?) and the fact that the roof would be the best option "ground plane" for solid push 360 degrees around, with the next best option being the front left fender. which will have a slightly directional push away from the vehicle but as i recall the author backed this up by stating that it was still a good option because the entire body would be acting as the "ground plane".

I also recall that the author of one or more of the links advised strongly against the bumper option due to lack a quality ground plane. yet it seems to me that like the fender the bumper is "tied" into the fender so it should have good ground plane too.

so who can clear up "ground plane" for me in laymans terms.

so seeing as the rear hatch is also "tied" into the frame and has a significnt amount of sheetmetal (as in more than the bumper) so would this rear hatch idea be a decent option for decently clear 360' "push" w/ decent range?

RLTW,
Grifter

Grifter144 said:
in one of the links posted here i read about "ground plane"(?) and the fact that the roof would be the best option "ground plane" for solid push 360 degrees around, with the next best option being the front left fender. which will have a slightly directional push away from the vehicle but as i recall the author backed this up by stating that it was still a good option because the entire body would be acting as the "ground plane".

I also recall that the author of one or more of the links advised strongly against the bumper option due to lack a quality ground plane. yet it seems to me that like the fender the bumper is "tied" into the fender so it should have good ground plane too.

so seeing as the rear hatch is also "tied" into the frame and has a significant amount of sheetmetal (as in more than the bumper) so would this rear hatch idea be a decent option for decently clear 360' "push" w/ decent range?

RLTW,
Grifter

Look at the www.firestik.com web page and the FAQ and TECH info for your explanations.

Just keep in mind that ground plane is for antennas and is different than ground for 12 Volts.

The bumper is tied to the body but the body will block some percentage of the signal. The tail gate is not truly tied to the body, it is attached by the hinges. Use a short bit of wire and some sheet metal screws to "attach" the tailgate to the body if you go that way.

When you talk about the best and worst places to put an antenna you will see the difference in the range you can send and receive. 5-8 miles on level terrain roof mount vs. 1-3 miles level terrain with a 4ft bumper mounted antenna. Just about anything will be enough to get from the tail of the line to the front (1/2 mile ?).

I've got a 3 foot firestik like antenna mounted front left fender and at the advice of D&R Communications exactly 18 feet of coax to the antenna. I also went in and had the guy at D&R tune the antenna once I got it all installed.

I get great range and reception from my cobra 19dx IV.

picture the radio signal as a doughnut. the antenna is in the "hole". the doughnut will roughly follow the shape of the metal surface the antenna is mounted to. even amounts on all sides is the best. usually on the roof above the dome light is the easiest with a spring mount.

been a ham and cb'er for 13 years.want some decent advice.......try mounting it with a hood mount up on your hood. or even a mag mount that firestick sells.this will keep your antenna out of harms way on the thinner trails,as well as keep your antenna tip above the vehicle.as for mounting it on the roof....in a perfect world that is the best....the center of the top of the car.i have had mine mounted with a lip mount to my front hood for a long time and get a good swr.if your not familiar with that term...swr.....it's the form of measurement used to make sure your antenna is operating properly.radio shack sells swr meters if you need one.hope that makes some sense.

so an MJ with an 8' whip mounted to the plastic bumper, and with a (metal) bracket around it holding it steady that goes to the tailgate latch...

you're basically saying this is a terrible spot? being that the bumper is plastic, and the antenna can ground to the bed about 1 1/2' up it?

Grifter144 said:
ok so i finally got a CB (x mas present yeah) anyway i have been searching around some of the various threads and links that you have all suggested to others for answers as to antenna and cb placement ..(already answered question two and fabbed up a "over the visor" mount for my cb tonight)

i have a 4 foot firestick and i am considering mounting it directly to the lower right corner of the rear hatch. namely due to the the fact that most of the local trails tend to be rather tight and they have rather bad habit of eating antenna's....last time out we lost two solid mount antenna's out of five rigs with cb's.

so seeing as the rear hatch is also "tied" into the frame and has a significnt amount of sheetmetal (as in more than the bumper) so would this rear hatch idea be a decent option for decently clear 360' "push" w/ decent range?

RLTW,
Grifter

I think I mounted mine they way you'd like to mount yours. I used a 3ft but 4ft will be fine. Use this mount http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-mkm2-molded-side-mount-mini-kit-p-578.html

I have that mount and cable w/ a firestick 3ft to a uniden cb cieling mounted with rocklizards CB XJ mount. I get good reception and the cb is in an out of the way position.

-AR

Back