• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch/starting issue

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
a long time ago my 86 XJ would start funny, id turn the key and nothing would happen so id turn it again and it would turn once mabey and then id tun it again and if i was lucky it would start, but that problem went into hibernation, and came back worse. if the clutch was in a very certain place the engine would turn over, is this some sort of switch/sensor. whats causeing this! cause im getting really tired of push starts and parking on hills.

The '86 XJ does not have a clutch safety interlock, unless it might have been added later as part of a recall. I don't remember what year they instituted that interlock, but I know my '88 doesn't have it.

I would suspect the ignition switch. Not the key tumbler on the top of the steering column, but the actual switch toward the base of the steering column. If the contacts are corroded or burned, it's remotely possible that the flexing of parts as you step on the clutch moves the wiring enough to make contact.

i looked all over and around the clutch, i couldnt find anything that i would think would trigger starting or a switch or i dont know this is driving me nuts!

Back