• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ 4.0 - TWO things on the cat. conv.

Madcap

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep is a factory right hand drive originally exported to Japan. I am replacing the catalytic converter, having it replaced, and the guy called me and said he'd never seen an additional temperature sensor on the downstream side of a catalytic converter before, at least on the Jeeps. At first I thought maybe it was some weird thing they had to do to meet Japanese standards, then the guy at O'Reilly's thought it might be an aftermarket add-on.

Can anybody help me understand what this might be, and why it would have been installed? There's no gauge for it that I know of, and I'm not sure yet about where the wire leads. My hope is that it doesn't go to the ECM, so I can move forward with installing the replacement and it's O2 sensor and not have to worry about the computer demanding information from the other thing. The pictures aren't great, but you can see the location of what seems to be a temp sensor on the opposite side from the O2 sensor.

Also, the guy doing the work is pretty convinced it was not a factory install, regarding the mystery sensor. It has kind of a plastic bracket, and some riveting work that wasn't that great.

7fnF1X9.jpg

V8bAeyV.jpg

Back