• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yet another power vs comfort switch thread

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
My experience with the switch seems to be different than most people's, but I use my jeep differently than most, and mine is an odd duck out anyway. Mine is a re-imported full optioned 95 right hand drive back from Japan. Despite the trans switch being dropped around 91 here in the states, mine is still equipped with it. Now, I've been keeping track of my mileage with an app for years so I keep very accurate records. I also deliver mail so I drive the exact same route day in, day out which is great for checking changes. I keep mine in comfort mode because it shifts too darn much and is annoys me in power. The few times I used power mode for some various reason I've noticed that in my constant stop and go, dirt road all day long route, that power gets around 11 mpg comfort gets 13.5! Odd right? Gotta be something with the stopping and going all the time because most everyone else gets much better in power mode. I don't drive it much other than the mail but it seems to get about 16 highway which is what I consider pretty normal for a 250k jeep with aggressive stock size tires i keep pretty low. Anyone else get better in comfort?

My '88 has the switch. I keep it mostly in Power. On occasion I do use comfort but not enough to track mileage differences. I find the comfort position too "sluggish" for my driving style. With 206K on the clock, my street/highway mileage is about the same as yours.

The switch merely changes shift points for the AW4. As you noted, it was deleted with the default being Power. So in comfort, the gears shift sooner keeping the engine rpm lower. In theory, this will save gas. However, if you simply smash the pedal to get it to downshift and get going faster, you negate the benefit. If you tow, wheel, drag race, etc., Comfort doesn't really allow the engine to get into the good spot on the powerband.

Back