• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Leak... Replacement Radiator? What else?

amongmany

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks,

I've owned my '00 XJ since November '18. When I purchased it, I brought it in for a check-up and round of service. Fast forward to yesterday, and I notice a coolant leak while at the gas station. Managed to tear into it today and it looks like the area around the transmission line is wet/seepy.

I also noticed that my coolant tank is low (about a 1/4 of the way to the "full" mark). I have not, however, noticed any drips on the ground when I've parked it overnight. Can't tell whether it only leaks under pressure and therefore I'm losing coolant as I drive or what.

Here's the wet/seepy spot:
1fsyyyR.jpg

I'm assume a replacement radiator is the best solution?
My research indicates that there isn't much reason to go for a super fancy radiator. Would this one suffice? Any other recommendations that won't break the bank?

Also...
What else should I plan to replace/update while I have pieces pulled from the engine bay?

I've watched a couple of youtube videos and I'm pretty confident I can manage the replacement myself.
What else do I need to perform the replacement?
I have the transmission line tool in my amazon cart.

How much coolant will a replacement require?
Any watch-outs while making the swap?

I did mine in my '00 when I first bought her. Pretty straight forward.

You might want to consider doing the thermostat too. I would.

New hoses and clamps maybe.

While I am fan of the "if it works don't fix it" school I also have this philosophy of "well while we are here" too.
I mean you have this area wide open because you are fixing something that needs to be fixed. While everything is out of the way you now have access to _______. Fill in the blank. Do I do it?

So I remember correctly you will need some torx to remove the header.

You will want to get all the grime out of the end of the transmission line before you use the tool to separate it.

When you put it back together you will want to put a little Vaseline on the line coming off the radiator before you put back on the tranny line. You will see an O-Ring in there and you do not want to "roll" it when doing so.

Almost wondering if you should replace O-Ring. I put in a new tranny line. But the rubber part of the line from chaffing the steering box was getting a notch in it so while I was there. Thing about that is there is probably not a specific one and you will have to find a match in the O-Ring assortment box that most auto part stores have.

Bone dry she will need 3 gallons of coolant. I use regular green diluted 50/50 with distilled water. I find that when I swap out my coolant, I do it every two years, that she takes about 2 gallons. Diluted. So thinking a gallon of full strength might get you by. Do you know what type of coolant is in there now?

Just drop the lower radiator hose to drain. Don't even waste your time trying to turn the peacock on the radiator.

There are isolators on top. They should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Cherokee-1987-2001-Radiator-Isolator/dp/B00CUV2GEA

A radiator has to posts on the bottom that go into these rubber bushing in the lower radiator support. Just don't loose track of them. Hopefully they are alright cause I don't know where to get new ones of those.

You might want to invest in the Lisle, or in Lisle type, funnel.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY

Since I swap my coolant out every 2 years I get some use out of mine. Normally though you just fill it up as much as you can, start the engine and run the heater hot on high, add coolant as necessary, at some point the coolant will come bubbling out of the radiator. Cap it. Then spend a few days driving around. Any air should burp out. Just keep an eye on the levels while doing this.

Sorry for the rambling I was just typing things as they came into my head. LOL.

Super helpful, thank you! Planning to do the radiator, thermostat, and probably water pump. Along with whatever hoses look worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super helpful, thank you! Planning to do the radiator, thermostat, and probably water pump. Along with whatever hoses look worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I recommend spending the extra money and buying FelPro gaskets for the water pump and thermostat. You will put them in dry. Do not gunk them up.

One thing I did not do "while I was there" was my water pump. Just replaced it about a month ago. But it was 6 years ago when I did the radiator. LOL.

Check your belt. You will loosen the bolt on the pulley by the water pump, 15 mm (pretty sure) and then there is the 15 mm bolt (again pretty sure) that is behind that will release the tension. You do not have to touch the power steering pump to for the belt or the water pump.

You might want to consider the tool for setting tension on the belt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRDLZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I come to find out that my '00 is very finicky about the tension. The "yeah that looks about right" way does not seem to work. I did it that way first and then checked with the gauge. Could not believe how far off it was from spec.

Speaking of which spec is:
Old belt 140 to 160
New belt 180 to 200

I always use the lower end of the range.

You will have no problem finding videos for the belt or how to use the tension gauge online.

Back