• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please try this with your XJ and tell me results?

You seem intent on finding some very rare failure mode of the AW4 that no-one here has seen.

If you don't believe that my transmission behaves as I describe, then please move on to another thread so that you can help someone whose problem you believe is real...please! PLEASE!

I didn't get a chance to try flipping past neutral this weekend like I had hoped.

Rain in Michigan has been relentless!

Being in Downtown Detroit, I didn't feel like hopping on the expressway with these uninsured maniacs.

Is your idle rpm too high.

Doesn't take much rpm to increase line pressure enough to cause this.

The reason it clunks going into drive/reverse after a pause in neutral is the increase in torque converter speed causing a higher fluid pressure.

Chances are however that the previous owner installed a shift kit. Which is also another cause for this.
The trans shop installing a shift kit would not fix the issue only increase it.

If you don't believe that my transmission behaves as I describe, then please move on to another thread so that you can help someone whose problem you believe is real...please! PLEASE!

Swap it out for an AX15

Or check out yourself instead of wasting a year plus of our time. A lot of great members have told you what's going on and you refuse to "LISTEN"!

The reason it clunks going into drive/reverse after a pause in neutral is the increase in torque converter speed causing a higher fluid pressure.

Yes, that is similar to my theory...that my TC turbine is somehow spinning up in Neutral faster than normal...that's why I asked others to try this test. As I posted above:

DIAGNOSIS CHART shows many possible reasons for "HARSH ENGAGEMENT FROM NEUTRAL TO DRIVE OR REVERSE", but if I eliminate the ones that involve driveshafts, differentials, etc. and the more obvious ones that have been checked by multiple mechanics (such as motor mounts, which I will recheck), this is what is left:

Band Misadjusted - Adjust rear band.

Valve Body Check Balls Missing - Inspect valve body for proper check ball installation.

Clutch, band or planetary component Damaged - Remove, disassemble and repair
transmission as necessary.

Converter Clutch Faulty - Replace converter and flush cooler and line before installing new converter.

Chances are however that the previous owner installed a shift kit. Which is also another cause for this. The trans shop installing a shift kit would not fix the issue only increase it.

If installing a shift kit could cause this problem (that, remember, never happens as long as I don't pause in Neutral), then I guess that I'd have to hear from someone with a shift kit to know for sure...so far I haven't heard of this happening to anyone with a shift kit, but that just means that I haven't heard about it, of course.

If you are saying that installing a shift kit "on top of" another shift kit could cause this problem...then that would require inspection of the valve body to determine, I suppose.

Yeah, I saw that and was wondering why his Jeep was moving forward and backward went he shifts into gear. Like his back breaks aren't working.
Drums are adjusted properly and work fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back