• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket stereo wiring and dash lights

BigG

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ Sport 4dr 4wd

I searched and couldn't find anything that really answered this question.
I'm installing a new stereo with a wiring harness adapter. All wires match up except the dimmer line on the jeep side. If I don't use it, my dash and console lights won't come on. If I wire it in with the illumination wires from the jeep and stereo, the dash lights will come on opposite from the light switch (on when they should be off, going off when the switch is pulled).

I had a really crazy hack job of wires in my previous stereo install, combining the illumination, dimmer, and constant 12+ lines in a way I am surprised even worked. Can someone out there give me a straight answer on where the dimmer line should be connected?

'96 XJ Sport 4dr 4wd

I searched and couldn't find anything that really answered this question.
I'm installing a new stereo with a wiring harness adapter. All wires match up except the dimmer line on the jeep side. If I don't use it, my dash and console lights won't come on. If I wire it in with the illumination wires from the jeep and stereo, the dash lights will come on opposite from the light switch (on when they should be off, going off when the switch is pulled).

I had a really crazy hack job of wires in my previous stereo install, combining the illumination, dimmer, and constant 12+ lines in a way I am surprised even worked. Can someone out there give me a straight answer on where the dimmer line should be connected?

Fix that wiring issue and wire it right then go from there.

you should be fine leaving it disconnected, it sounds like you havfe something crossed or shorting out somewhere else.

Leaving it disconnected is where the problem comes from to begin with. the dimmer circuit seems to need to be closed to somewhere to get the lights to work, but where?

Fix that wiring issue and wire it right then go from there.
Yes, thank you, fixing the wiring will fix the problem. The point of this thread is to find out how to wire it right. The 'hack job' wiring is already removed as it was part of my previous stereo install.

Yes, thank you, fixing the wiring will fix the problem. The point of this thread is to find out how to wire it right. The 'hack job' wiring is already removed as it was part of my previous stereo install.

Well, obviously you haven't fixed the issue if you have repaired this "hack job" like you said you have. Trace the wire through the dash and see if it is grounding out on something.

The OEM dimmer wire will be left disconnected on almost all aftermarket cd/dvd players. Leaving it disconnected in a properly working vehicle has no effect on the dash lights as long as it's not just laying loose behind the dash. If you leave it disconnected and the instrument lights do not come on then you have a problem with the factory wiring and my guess would be somewhere behind the instrument cluster the wire's been nicked by a screw or pinched causing the issue.

X3, my stock stereo cable isn't plugged into anything at the moment as I have my Ham 2meter rig in the stock location, and my light dimmers work fine. You've got some other wacky issue going on in there - maybe your headlight switch has an issue?

Did you end up resolving this issue? I am having the same problem. I hooked the illumination wire to the dimmer wire and got reverse affects from the switch. Off was on. On was off but with running lights on.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Back