• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!-Crank Position Sensor!?

knockedout88xj

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep stalled out at a intersection and then i tried to start it and it ran like complete shit then stalled again. I started it one more time then held it at about 2,00rpms finally it ran fine. then the next morning it would crank but would not start, the only thing i can think of is c.p.s. and or mabey a fuel filter, just need some help on this.

Fuel filter is easier (by far) to get to than the crank sensor, but EIther would could casue those problems....

Best to do both for cheap insurance, BTW carry a spare CPS with you at all times, they like to do die frequently.....

poorboy_616 said:
Fuel filter is easier (by far) to get to than the crank sensor, but EIther would could casue those problems....

Best to do both for cheap insurance, BTW carry a spare CPS with you at all times, they like to do die frequently.....

Its been my experiance they rarely die - the problem is at the plug and not the sensor itself. Most CPS "failures" can be resolved by unplugging the sensor and plugging it in again.

I stuffed my plug full of dielectric grease.

185K, on my second CPS, still my first fuel filter from the factory. Electronics do occasionally fail on cars, but wiring and connectors frequently corrode far earlier. I replugged the CPS and got it running, and replaced it because I didn't trust it, not because it tested bad. I suspect lots of us experiencing CPS "failures" are really doing the same.

I oughta mod it for easy installation(like I did the replacement) and reinstall just to check . . .

TiRod said:
185K, on my second CPS, still my first fuel filter from the factory. Electronics do occasionally fail on cars, but wiring and connectors frequently corrode far earlier. I replugged the CPS and got it running, and replaced it because I didn't trust it, not because it tested bad. I suspect lots of us experiencing CPS "failures" are really doing the same.

I oughta mod it for easy installation(like I did the replacement) and reinstall just to check . . .

While all this is true, I believe in some preventative maintenace. Don't let your fuel filter get to almost 2k before you change it. That is usually one of the first things I do when I get a new rig, along with fluid changes/flushes. If you keep simple fixes done (like the fuel filter) when a problem arises you don't have to wonder if that is the problem.

I bought my '87 almost 3 months ago, the first thing I did was give it tune-up and fuel filter change.

After that was the brake master, seeming as I put it to floor with no stoppage.....

Back